TAC-9 Radio System (nationwide buff notification network)

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Sorry boss, but I have to be the Devil's Advocate on this.. Lindsay, why would anyone that is PAYING to get a radio, and subscription to that system ever drop it on BCFY for everyone to hear for free? It is a serious question. If I was paying around $350.00 or so to have a radio and subscription, I sure as heck am going to want at least that much in reimbursements to cover me losing use of the radio to feed it to BCFY. Also, you need to contact the administration of that service to use them to feed your feeds as they ARE charging subscriptions, and the radios are NOT free. Just a few things to think about.

wcoriston

Buff.
Feed Provider
Sorry boss, but I have to be the Devil's Advocate on this.. Lindsay, why would anyone that is PAYING to get a radio, and subscription to that system ever drop it on BCFY for everyone to hear for free? It is a serious question. If I was paying around $350.00 or so to have a radio and subscription, I sure as heck am going to want at least that much in reimbursements to cover me losing use of the radio to feed it to BCFY. Also, you need to contact the administration of that service to use them to feed your feeds as they ARE charging subscriptions, and the radios are NOT free. Just a few things to think about.
You can listen for free on their website.

Edit. My apologies I miss understood your point.

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
Most likely I'm missing something. How does this differ from broadcastify or running a scanner to a computer like Proscan does? Honest question. What are the differences?

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Lindsay, as the feed administrator for this, I would have to ask if it would qualify as an official feed, as a delay is something that is being considered.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Most likely I'm missing something. How does this differ from broadcastify or running a scanner to a computer like Proscan does? Honest question. What are the differences?
It is a buff network that announces incidents and gives updates. Independent reports are given by the members from from the scene or radio traffic is processed and condensed for the necessary information. Between the membership a much larger area is covered than the average scanner feed. It provides a lot of information to scene/media photographers, buffs, insurance adjusters because the reports are based on similar needs by people with similar interests.

N8IAA

It is a buff network that announces incidents and gives updates. Independent reports are given by the members from from the scene or radio traffic is processed and condensed for the necessary information. Between the membership a much larger area is covered than the average scanner feed. It provides a lot of information to scene/media photographers, buffs, insurance adjusters because the reports are based on similar needs by people with similar interests.

Doesn't that fly in the face of making money from revealing/passing info heard on a scanner? I'm sure that won't stop anyone who participates. But, all of those people make money from scanning for news.

I find it a bit unethical, but, that's my opinion. (shrugs shoulders).

APX7500X2

I was a member of a buff radio group for 25 years, used to love the great information you got from members on the scene of incidents.
It would be kind of cool to see this up and running again.
At the peak of membership our group had 4 UHF repeaters up and running and the radios were anywhere from $300-$2500 depending on what you wanted (I had a Motorola Saber III) and membership was $150 a year

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Doesn't that fly in the face of making money from revealing/passing info heard on a scanner? I'm sure that won't stop anyone who participates. But, all of those people make money from scanning for news.

I find it a bit unethical, but, that's my opinion. (shrugs shoulders).
Look at my signature.....

I've had the cover of Fire-Rescue Magazine, numerous inside shots in Firehouse, Fire Engineering, Fire-Rescue, JEMS and 9-1-1 Magazine as well as many local newspapers. I do not work for a news agency, but please tell me how this would be different from any local news assignment desk's radio traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.