TAC-9 Radio System (nationwide buff notification network)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I wasn't sure where to put this, mods, please feel free to move it.

DISCLAIMER: I am a member of this system, not an owner or administrator. I did work with the owners/admins to get the live feed running.

TAC-9 may be remembered by those in the Eastern Massachusetts area as a local notification network that utilized a repeated UHF channel to announce public safety incidents for buffs/media. This system was very active south of Boston in the 1990s.

The name of the system has been brought back and it uses the same forrmat to announce incidents, but that is where the similarity ends. The system uses a digital LTE PoC system and three talkgroups. There is nationwide coverage and although the system is currently operating primarily in it's original area, expansion throughout New England is taking place and nationwide expansion is the goal. I have been able to report from incidents in Detroit on the Nationwide channel without issue.

The system is accessible by radio or app. The radios in use are non-display and dispaly models of Kirisun (W60/W65) and a display mobile.

The system itself is probably the largest obstacle in getting new members. No one can monitor it with a scanner, so people really can't make a decision on whether or not to join. While talking with one of the owners about ideas on how to grow membership, I suggested an online feed. We tested with a cheap android phone with the app and eventually worked the bugs out to a point where it was ready for the internet.

The home page for the system is: Home and the feed is directly accessible at: http://73.149.77.223:24365/HTMLAudioPlayerstream

Give it a listen, it has potential.

EricHoffman

I wasn't sure where to put this, mods, please feel free to move it.

DISCLAIMER: I am a member of this system, not an owner or administrator. I did work with the owners/admins to get the live feed running.

TAC-9 may be remembered by those in the Eastern Massachusetts area as a local notification network that utilized a repeated UHF channel to announce public safety incidents for buffs/media. This system was very active south of Boston in the 1990s.

The name of the system has been brought back and it uses the same forrmat to announce incidents, but that is where the similarity ends. The system uses a digital LTE PoC system and three talkgroups. There is nationwide coverage and although the system is currently operating primarily in it's original area, expansion throughout New England is taking place and nationwide expansion is the goal. I have been able to report from incidents in Detroit on the Nationwide channel without issue.

The system is accessible by radio or app. The radios in use are non-display and dispaly models of Kirisun (W60/W65) and a display mobile.

The system itself is probably the largest obstacle in getting new members. No one can monitor it with a scanner, so people really can't make a decision on whether or not to join. While talking with one of the owners about ideas on how to grow membership, I suggested an online feed. We tested with a cheap android phone with the app and eventually worked the bugs out to a point where it was ready for the internet.

The home page for the system is: Home and the feed is directly accessible at: http://73.149.77.223:24365/HTMLAudioPlayerstream

Give it a listen, it has potential.
Thank You for posting this! I hope it helps get the word out. We definitely want some national expansion! Eric H

dimab

How do these radios work? Or the network ? Says they’re cellular ? But do I need a cell plan to use this? How are channels handled?

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
How do these radios work? Or the network ? Says they’re cellular ? But do I need a cell plan to use this? How are channels handled?

The radio is part of a subscriber plan. Most notification systems have a membership fee to remain in good standing and have access to the radio channel. This one is no different. The radio requires a $150/year subscription and the app is $50/year. It includes the service and no additional cellular fees or plans are necessary.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
It basically sounds like Zello with a cost attached to it, plus the cost of the radio.

Don't get me wrong: network radios could be the wave of the future (not so much for public service...cops, fire...however). There's no need to worry about area of coverage, maintaining repeaters, etc. But I don't think the majority of the listeners in, say, NYC, would be overly concerned about hearing 10 or 20 reports about a barn fire somewhere in the middle of Kentucky.

If they set up more localized groups, but also allowing travelers to switch groups, it may be worthwhile.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Why not use zello?
Its free and has much more accessibility for users.
If you want to spend money on radios they make similar ones with zello capabilities. They can use cellular and/or wifi.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Why not use zello?
Its free and has much more accessibility for users.
If you want to spend money on radios they make similar ones with zello capabilities. They can use cellular and/or wifi.
There are uptime gurantees that Zello cannot commit to, and contracts to that effect.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Are you leaving out the price of the radio as well or does the $150 per year mean you get a free radio to use with the service.
Most of these voice over cellular services run on an android form of radio that costs a few hundred bucks then rely on the monthly / yearly fee to keep them in service.
Sure there are uptime guarantees that zello cant or wont commit to but then again they are offering a free service and this isnt a public safety grade system so if it hiccups its ok, im not paying anything for it.
And to be clear are you saying if you dont want to buy the radio you can get an app and pay $50 for a years service and use it that way?

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Are you leaving out the price of the radio as well or does the $150 per year mean you get a free radio to use with the service.
Most of these voice over cellular services run on an android form of radio that costs a few hundred bucks then rely on the monthly / yearly fee to keep them in service.
Sure there are uptime guarantees that zello cant or wont commit to but then again they are offering a free service and this isnt a public safety grade system so if it hiccups its ok, im not paying anything for it.
And to be clear are you saying if you dont want to buy the radio you can get an app and pay $50 for a years service and use it that way?
The radio is an additional purchase, just like the UHF systems are. It was $150 when I purchsed mine, but I don't know if the prices have changed, and yes, the $50 app can be used the same way.

wcoriston

Buff.
Feed Provider
The radio is an additional purchase, just like the UHF systems are. It was $150 when I purchsed mine, but I don't know if the prices have changed, and yes, the $50 app can be used the same way.
I sent my payment but have not heard anything to acknowledge that or any info on what come next. Is this normal?

jdaigneault

Premium Subscriber
It basically sounds like Zello with a cost attached to it, plus the cost of the radio.

Don't get me wrong: network radios could be the wave of the future (not so much for public service...cops, fire...however). There's no need to worry about area of coverage, maintaining repeaters, etc. But I don't think the majority of the listeners in, say, NYC, would be overly concerned about hearing 10 or 20 reports about a barn fire somewhere in the middle of Kentucky.

If they set up more localized groups, but also allowing travelers to switch groups, it may be worthwhile.
Admin are working on a plan for general regions, ill report back.

jdaigneault

Premium Subscriber
Our popular display radio is LTE capable and current price is $274 w/o the service contract. The app can also be used on a android based radio or on a phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.