"Tac" channels..

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
Ok I know under the TOS, "Tac" channels are not allowed on feeds.. However I would like to get a neighboring county (Ellis, KS) back on a feed since they recently switched onto the statewide P25 system, so I have been talking to the EM about setting up an official feed. He showed me how it works, and it seems that it would not be worth it under current rules because of how the TGs are tagged..

Basically nothing regarding actual calls goes out under the dispatch TG. Because of the size of the city, they are using TG's labeled Tac as the "fireground" and "event" talkaround channels (so "TAC", not "Tac"). So the page out would come over the Dispatch channel as "Ellis Co EMS, respond to (call information), communicate on TAC 2", then all responding units switch over to TAC 2.. So if the TAC TG's aren't included, then all anyone would hear is the page out, and that's it. All of the communications between PD/FD/SO/EMS happens on the TAC channel.

So is it possible to approve the use of TAC channels on a feed in this type of situation? They are carrying nothing different than would be found on a Dispatch TG in a smaller town. He told me that for stuff that would ordinarily go on "Tactical" channels, they have several encrypted channels that are used for private/c2c/detective, drug/warrant comms, etc, so there is no concern about that going over the air..

Last edited:

richtidd

Database Admin
Ok I know under the TOS, "Tac" channels are not allowed on feeds.. However I would like to get a neighboring county (Ellis, KS) back on a feed since they recently switched onto the statewide P25 system, so I have been talking to the EM about setting up an official feed. He showed me how it works, and it seems that it would not be worth it under current rules because of how the TGs are tagged..

Basically nothing regarding actual calls goes out under the dispatch TG. They are using TG's labeled Tac as the "fireground" and "event" channels. So the page out would come over the Dispatch channel as "Ellis Co EMS, (call information), communicate on Tac 2", then all responding units switch over to Tac 2.. So if the Tac TG's aren't included, then all anyone would hear is the page out, and that's it. All of the communications between PD/FD/SO/EMS happens on the Tac channel.

So is it possible to approve the use of Tac channels on a feed in this type of situation? He told me that for stuff that would ordinarily go on "Tac" channels, they have several encrypted channels that are used for private/c2c, drug/warrant comms, etc, so there is no concern about that going over the air..

Here is our TOS:

Law Enforcement Feeds:
I agree to ONLY broadcast routine dispatch and special events channels and talk groups for law enforcement agencies.
Please also see here: Law Enforcement Feeds - TOS Clarifications

Fire / EMS / Rescue Feeds:
I agree to ONLY broadcast routine dispatch operations and fireground / on scene operations for fire, EMS, and rescue agencies.
I agree to NOT broadcast dedicated channels or talkgroups used for ambulance to hospital communications.
I agree to NOT broadcast dedicated channels or talkgroups related to investigations, arson, and fire marshal activities.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
Yeahhhh.. Um thanks for not answering my question and posting what I already know.

The TAC channels in this case are not used for anything 'tactical', they are used for routine calls as Talk Around Channels to keep dispatch clear since this is a relatively large city. They should be tagged 'fireground' or 'event' but they are not.

richtidd

Database Admin
Yeahhhh.. Um thanks for not answering my question and posting what I already know.

The TAC channels in this case are not used for anything 'tactical', they are used for routine calls as Talk Around Channels to keep dispatch clear since this is a relatively large city. They should be tagged 'fireground' or 'event' but they are not.

Police tac are the main ones we are concerned about.
It is more a matter how they are used.

If you email me a proposed feed list I will look at it and advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.