TACN / Hamilton County

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA9ERT

Premium Subscriber
Seeking help to receive anything on TACN. I was receiving all of Hamilton County public safety traffic until recently (month or two), now nothing. I assumed that they had moved everything to the TACN, so I reprogrammed my BCD996P2 with all of the new data imported from RadioRef. Still nothing, updated the scanner firmware to 1.08.01. Still nothing. Scanner works fine on all other frequencies. I have listened to the control channel, 855.2125, on my SDRPlay to verify that it is the control channel and that is what I have set in Site Setup/Trunk Frequencies. Has the entire TACN system gone to full encrypted? According to the RadioRef data the mode on Hamilton County is 'D'. I'm at a loss. Any help will certainly be appreciated. Thanks

WA9ERT

Premium Subscriber
Well folks as it turns out this was an exercise in remembering things. The 'P25 Threshold' setting is critical to good decoding. I haven't had to change the setting in a very long time and had forgotten about it. Reprogramming with all new data reset 'APCO Mode' to Auto. Changed it to 'Manual' and tweaked Threshold. Works much better now. Never mind. Thanks

KB4JAC

Premium Subscriber
Glad you figured it out. I had to re-work my BCD396T the other day as well.

WA9ERT

Premium Subscriber
It seemed like the fixes described in my earlier post would actually make the 996P2 useble for me, but that wasn't the case. After making those changes and tweaking the threshold I finally gave up. The real solution was to take a gamble and buy a Uniden SDS200 scanner. What a huge difference. The SDS200 handles the simulcast system perfectly in my case. I'm a happy camper now. For those folks out there looking to buy a scanner that receives and decodes P25 systems properly, they have to know more about the system other than it's P25. If it's simulcast and they can isolate receiving to one site using a directional antenna maybe the 996P2 will work just fine. In my case I can hear 3 transmitter sites at different distances but with similar signal strengths and the 996P2 doesn't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.