Tacoma Area Scannner -- Digital soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jassing

Premium Subscriber
In the Tacoma area, will they be switching to digital soon? I am looking at a new trunking scanner (pro163,bct15x, <suggestions?>) -- but if they'll be switching to digital soon, might get a digital now...

A side question is the pro163 and bct15x both do trunking; while they share most frequencies, they do cover different ones... so is one better to have, or in our area, they both cover frequencies & trunks that I'd encounter?

Thanks
-josh

jassing

Premium Subscriber
Update to my post -- I have since learned there are some digital converts already in the area; so I've up'd my scanner choices to Pro-197 or BCD996XT... Trying to wade thru all the frequencies to be sure both will cover me.. the BCD996XT covers more frequencies, but at about $150 more....so if the Pro-197 will cover me; my pocket would be happier.

jassing

Premium Subscriber
They have about the same frequency range. It won't make a difference. The 996XT is a far, far, better scanner.

OK -- I read it differently -- but yes, it is better... but I'm just not sure if I :wink: that better...

Sort of like "I know I need a 4 wheel drive truck, but do I need a humvee?" Yes, it's a better vehicle, but I don't need that "better"...

Just something I have to work out in my head I guess.. "Is that better worth so much more?"

Everyone does seem to agree that the unidens are better radios all around.... It's the cost vs. benefit now.... "will the pro 197 do what I need" -- or do I need to belly up .. (I want to belly up; but I know home life would be calmer not spending 150-200 more than I had to...) IfYouKnowWhatIMean.....

Thanks, I do appreciate the input very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.