Tacoma/Puyallup PSRS audio issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpm3

I have been vexed for some time with audio clarity issues on the PSRS P25 Phase II system. All radio transmissions are vulnerable to some interruptions or distortion, but my experience with this system (using both a Whistler 1080 and a TRX-1) are frustrating and perplexing. My most frequently monitored talkgroups are Tacoma PD North and South and I am monitoring from the NW side of Indian Hill near WA-509 on the Pierce County side of Dash Point Park .
While there is often clear audio on all transmissions, it is not unusual for the audio from the mobile units to be easily understandable while the audio from the dispatch side to be garbled - in the sense that the words spoken are garbled and run together and sounding as if they are spoken faster than is normal for human pronunciation. This is not the situation all of the time but it is present frequently enough to be regarded as "not unusual" and extremely frustrating. While the difference in the mobile and dispatch transmissions is (I feel) significant in and of itself, I also note that this problem does not arise on transmissions of the South Sound 911 and WSP P25 Phase 2 systems.
One wonders if it an issue with the microphone setup in the dispatch centers, some other equipment issue or just occasional lapses on the part of those working in the dispatch center. I am aware that the multi site issue MIGHT contribute to distortion, but the difference between audio from mobile units vs dispatch transmissions MIGHT (?) seem to eliminate that explanation.
I have considered getting an SDS-100, but am not certain that an expensive change in scanners would resolve the problem and don't want to just gamble on it and hope for better results. If anyone else out there has noticed this issue and found a solution or is familiar with complaints of this sort, I'd appreciate any advice or insight. Thanks.

freqseeker

My bet is that you are having simulcast issues. I am in south King county near Dash Point road. I have issues with my BCD536 with this system, but it is perfect with my SDS200 and 100. I don't own Whistler products but I understand they perform poorly on simulcast systems.
WSP 700 works well on the 536.

N7AZD

Premium Subscriber
I have my 536 monitoring psrs through tacoma's tower only and that has improved reception a little but I have the issue of this all the time depending on the day but for the most part it is pretty clear I am in Lakewood by McChord afb

dpm3

My bet is that you are having simulcast issues. I am in south King county near Dash Point road. I have issues with my BCD536 with this system, but it is perfect with my SDS200 and 100. I don't own Whistler products but I understand they perform poorly on simulcast systems.
WSP 700 works well on the 536.

Do the issues you are having on your 536 duplicate those I described (i.e. clear reception of mobile units but persistent though not constant distortion of the dispatch side)?

N7AZD

Premium Subscriber
I have a lot of issues with simulcast but not as bad as it was on both my scanners before I avoided all sites but Tacoma also bonney lake sometimes sounds like it is encrypting dispatch at times

ww7ch

Feed Provider
I listen to that system regularly (both the Tacoma and Puyallup simulcasts) and audio from everyone sounds like what I would expect to hear. Field unit audio is often unintelligible when officers speak too fast and far away from their speaker-mics. During routine operations the dispatchers usually know what they're listening for, so they often know what they said where many of us didn't.

I am monitoring from the NW side of Indian Hill near WA-509 on the Pierce County side of Dash Point Park .

I believe you're right in the neighborhood of one of that system's simulcast sites just up the hill at the reservoir. Makes me wonder if the received signal might be too strong? Might be worth trying the attenuator for that site if you haven't tried that already.

Also FYI, this system is being sent to Calls, so for troubleshooting purposes it is possible to use that to compare what you're hearing against actual traffic that was decoded clearly.

freqseeker

Do the issues you are having on your 536 duplicate those I described (i.e. clear reception of mobile units but persistent though not constant distortion of the dispatch side)?
I primarily listen to KCERS as I'm in Federal Way. I tried off and on over the years to listen to Tacoma PD with the 536 but gave up until I purchased the SDS's. I don't remember having problems with dispatch vs mobile units. I recall choppy audio for both, but most of all a lot of missed calls, long periods of silence or seeing the radio stop on TPD North but no decode. Some transmissions were perfect. If I recall correctly Puyallup simulcast was so weak I could barely receive it so I used Tacoma simulcast.
Now I use either one with equal success. For SS911 I use the Orting simulcast.

If you want to listen to PSRS I would suggest this BlueTail Tech P25RX. Its creater Todd is in the Tri Cities. I can't say enough how impressed I am with the progress of this radio. His support is awesome. You can read the very long forum here BlueTail P25RX. It supports P25 1 and 2 as well as DMR and NXDN. He is very active @btt on the above forum. The audio blows away my SDS's. You can buy two of them for less then one SDS. Don't get me wrong I still like my SDS's.

rlmurray56

Feed Provider
I listen to PSRS, SS911 and WSP from my location in east Puyallup. Using orange FlightAware Pro SDR's, OP25 software, on a Raspberry Pi4. I have no issues with any received audio. The audio quality from OP25 is amazing.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
I have been vexed for some time with audio clarity issues on the PSRS P25 Phase II system. All radio transmissions are vulnerable to some interruptions or distortion, but my experience with this system using both a Whistler 1080 and a TRX-1 are frustrating and perplexing.

It may be simulcast problems but you may also have a similar issue that I have with KCMT. I believe the issue is that KCMT uses a lot of data traffic on their TDMA channels and the TRX-1 isn't able to distinguish between data and voice traffic, so it gets confused. I've watched Pro96Com traffic on KCMT while watching my TRX-1 and my theory seems to fit. This issue does reproduce on my SDS-100 but it's much less common. The TRX-1 will hit this every time especially with heavy data traffic.

I don't know how much data PSRS uses as I cannot receive PSRS from here.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have run a BCD996P2 and SDS-100 side by side on this system and it's "amazing" how many calls the BCD misses. I am sure it is a simulcast issue. I've also had bad reception with a TRX-1, but didn't run all 3 radios at the same time.

dpm3

I listen to that system regularly (both the Tacoma and Puyallup simulcasts) and audio from everyone sounds like what I would expect to hear. Field unit audio is often unintelligible when officers speak too fast and far away from their speaker-mics. During routine operations the dispatchers usually know what they're listening for, so they often know what they said where many of us didn't.

I believe you're right in the neighborhood of one of that system's simulcast sites just up the hill at the reservoir. Makes me wonder if the received signal might be too strong? Might be worth trying the attenuator for that site if you haven't tried that already.

Also FYI, this system is being sent to Calls, so for troubleshooting purposes it is possible to use that to compare what you're hearing against actual traffic that was decoded clearly.

I took your advice and set the attenuation on for the Tacoma (Indian Hill) transmitter. I had already programmed the radio to not monitor McNeil Island and Puyallup transmitter. Monitoring the sytemn on and off yesterday evening did SEEM to indicate noticeable improvement in reception. I will give this a more extended "test" over the next couple of days. Thanks for the suggestion.

dpm3

If you want to listen to PSRS I would suggest this BlueTail Tech P25RX. Its creater Todd is in the Tri Cities. I can't say enough how impressed I am with the progress of this radio. His support is awesome. You can read the very long forum here BlueTail P25RX. It supports P25 1 and 2 as well as DMR and NXDN. He is very active @btt on the above forum. The audio blows away my SDS's. You can buy two of them for less then one SDS. Don't get me wrong I still like my SDS's.

dpm3

That is an interesting suggestion. I have wondered about an SDR for some time now. I still have an Optoelctronics Optocom radio and Perry Joseph's Probe software that I used back in StL. These will not handle trunked systems and Probe software won't work with anything newer than Windows 98. Does the BlueTail device and software handle conventional analog channels? I do a fair amount of listening to railroad dispatch channels, airline en-route and some military air. Does the software have a logging feature? I used to allow the Optocom to run at low volume for a few days and get a report on which of the scanned channels was busy with a specific count of the activity on each scanned channel. I found it to be a very helpful feature and would delight to be able to "count" the busiest trunking system talkgroups and conventional channels.

ad7th

Premium Subscriber
I use a Uniden 436 and it flips from Tacoma to Puyallup sites and hear great audio. Also have a Unication G5 pager and hear great audio here in East Side of Tacoma.

im800mhz

My APX works just fine in that area. It's more than likely your receivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.