• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tactical Radio Communications Coordinator/Officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
Does your area, agency, or department have a Tactical Radio Communications Coordinator or Officer or something similar?

I am not talking about a Dispatcher but someone who responds to incidents in the field to aid with Communications. This individual could have several responsibilities such as
  • Establish and Implementing a Communications Plan
  • Oversee Use of Frequencies to prevent possible interference
  • Aid the Incident Command in Radio Communications
  • Troubleshoot basic radio issues
  • Setup Portable Communications Equipment
  • Audibly Record and/or Document Communications
  • Suggest appropriate tactical channels for type of incident

This individual would essentially be a Radio Operator, Communications Tech, and Communications Unit Leader on incidents where a designated Incident Management Team would be deployed. I am sure this type of position exists somewhere but I cannot seem to find a job description for such a position after many searches on the internet.

ecps92

Generally referenced as a COML
https://www.dhs.gov/video/communications-unit-leader-training

However there are also COM-T and others that the Forest Service uses

Does your area, agency, or department have a Tactical Radio Communications Coordinator or Officer or something similar?

I am not talking about a Dispatcher but someone who responds to incidents in the field to aid with Communications. This individual could have several responsibilities such as
  • Establish and Implementing a Communications Plan
  • Oversee Use of Frequencies to prevent possible interference
  • Aid the Incident Command in Radio Communications
  • Troubleshoot basic radio issues
  • Setup Portable Communications Equipment
  • Audibly Record and/or Document Communications
  • Suggest appropriate tactical channels for type of incident

This individual would essentially be a Radio Operator, Communications Tech, and Communications Unit Leader on incidents where a designated Incident Management Team would be deployed. I am sure this type of position exists somewhere but I cannot seem to find a job description for such a position after many searches on the internet.

sfd119

Yeah, the specific term is COML or COMT.

But yes, I do some/all above the above depending on the incident. Look into Field Comm 1 from FDNY.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I am familiar with the RADO, COMT, and COML positions. However I am looking for more of a City/County/Municipality type position that is does a little of all those position for incidents that don't require a Type 3, 2, or 1 Incident Management Team.

I am basically looking for the job description of the person(s) who operate the Field Operations Unit at FDNY or any other agency or department. Or job descriptions of positions very similar to this position.

Last edited:

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Well I don't know what happens in your neck of the woods, but here a state position would indeed have a COML or COMT position. Easy enough to find out job description. County level, depending on the size may or may not have anyone certified, but still have qualified techs. City tech may just be dumped off on the IT department which barely knows which hole to plug a RG-11 into.

If you're looking for a specific job description I think you will find it may be all over the board depending where you look.

N9IIT

Just out of curiosity and because my $DAYJOB is in information technology, in many county/muni deployments does the job of communications maintenance get delegated to information tech on (sometimes misplaced) premise that if you plug it into a wall and it kinda looks like a computer, it's an IT related item?

Status
Not open for further replies.