TAFB Star Spangled Salute

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodyrr

I may be behind the power curve on this, but I just saw a flyer for the 2008 Star Spangled Salute at Tinker. I left it on the counter because it was the only one, but it did say that the Thunderbirds are to appear.

It said that it is to be held May 24th.

Please forgive this post if I'm the only person in central Oklahoma that is just now finding out about this.

fireant

As of right now unless something changes, I intend to be at Tinker. Anyone else on here making the trip?

fireant

Shortwavewave

Im going no matter what! I have gone every year since 2004, seems to be getting earlyer every year??

SABRE46

woodyrr said:
I may be behind the power curve on this, but I just saw a flyer for the 2008 Star Spangled Salute at Tinker. I left it on the counter because it was the only one, but it did say that the Thunderbirds are to appear.

It said that it is to be held May 24th.

Please forgive this post if I'm the only person in central Oklahoma that is just now finding out about this.
Thought it was June 24

woodyrr

canders2 said:
Don't forget that they usually practice 2 days prior to the show (snip)

If anyone gets any intel on when the plan to practice, I'd like to know. Some of the better pictures that I took of the Blue Angels last year was during practice under a cloudless sky.

Thanks.

Shortwavewave

I think they start to practice 2 or 3 days before the show, driving down douglas I seen that NASA Ship-Plane Type thing in a hanger they had last year, and you will know if they start to pratice, espeslly if the SR71 takes off!!!! Or the first year I went there was a Jet Car Talk about a sonic BOOM!!

Maybe we can all meet up somewhere?
Im real familuar as to how its all set up, so if you guys feel like it, what do you think?

SABRE46

Shortwavewave said:
I think they start to practice 2 or 3 days before the show, driving down douglas I seen that NASA Ship-Plane Type thing in a hanger they had last year, and you will know if they start to pratice, espeslly if the SR71 takes off!!!! Or the first year I went there was a Jet Car Talk about a sonic BOOM!!

Maybe we can all meet up somewhere?
Im real familuar as to how its all set up, so if you guys feel like it, what do you think?

If you are referring to the Super Guppy thats in bldg 2136, you will not be able to see it. It's here for depot maintenance. I believe a lot of us will be there though.

Shortwavewave

Is thats what its really called? Super Guppy? LOL thats funny, I did see it though a few weeks ago it was just outside a hanger

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
If the TBirds follow usual protocal, they arrive on Thursday and fly around a bit to check out landmarks. They practice again Friday and finalize the routine. I'm guessing they will arrive around 1100, maybe do some practice rounds. They will then fly again maybe around 1600. Friday, they'll fly again, probably around 1400 to 1600.

Check out the link that I put in above and program the VHF as well as the UHF freqs. I know last time the diamond team used the 140 freqs to talk on...make sure you program AM mode. Solo's are on a seperate channel and I think TBIRD 1 lead monitors it while talking on the diamond freq. If I remember right, he'll even comment on it once in awhile for timing purposes.

It's very interesting to listen to the diamond as they fly around. The diamond lead has a very interesting way of talking that clues the other pilots exactly how fast to perform a certain maneuver. It really makes the performance more interesting.

Don't forget the other stuf too, like the Heritage team and the jet car. Also, the Air Boss. Find a pilot at the show and ask what freq the Air Boss is on. Try 135.650

The Transient Alert freq 408.3625 will be very busy Thursday, Friday and whenever everyone begins to leave. It's a P25 channel so you'll need a digital-capable radio.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.