Tags on the wrong forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm kinda surprised that no one saw this during the test phase, but I see scanner tags being used within forums that have absolutely nothing to do with scanners. Examples would include all the HF/MW/LW forums and the Amateur Radio forums. I do see, however, that the tags are turned off for this forum. It also appears that the Software Defined Radio forum has a very different set of tags.

It's probably too late to do anything about this, but I just thought it stood out, and like I said, it evidently was never reported...Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
But it appears that they can be customized to some degree. Witness the Software Defined Radios forum for example. It starts off with various SDR programs, which makes perfect sense, then goes to Uniden Scanner, RS Scanners, Programming Software, Whistler Scanners, GRE Scanners and Amateur Radio Equipment, none of which makes any sense at all (except maybe the SDS100 and 200 in the Uniden Scanners list). In addition, there are other Amateur Radio Equipment SDRs such as the well known Flex Radios that aren't listed. You can find a selection of ham SDR equipment links in the wiki. If the tags aren't relevant to the topic, as in this case the majority are not, then how can you expect anyone to use them? It really makes no sense at all.

I would be more than willing to contribute tags for the forums that I used to moderate, if that would help. I can see where someone might not know the correct tabs for topics s/he doesn't know or understand.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
First of all, I'm assuming you are talking about Prefixes not Tags. Prefixes are selected when a thread is created and is part of the thread title. They have been created by myself by looking at threads to see which prefixes could be helpful. I'm sure there are lots of prefixes which could have been created and as time goes on, I'll be adding more. There's only so much time in the day and I could probably spend days creating prefixes. If there's something that you feel is missing, send me a PM or one of the other Moderators a PM and we'll create it.

Certain groups of prefixes or individual prefixes can be applied to any forum. At the moment, some prefixes are applied to all forums. This is something that needs to be cleaned up.

Tags are created by users and can be added to any thread.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
OK I'll drum up a few for the Wiki and HF/MW/LW forums and send them in via PM. Should only take a day or so to get some meaningful ones together. I assume they are limited to 6 characters? Are there any other rules I need to know?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Looks like they can be any length but keep in mind shorter is probably better.

No other rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.