• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tait P25 Portables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
I was thinking about looking outside motorola for my next P25 portable,
I am looking at the TP9100 P25 portable,

TP9100 Advanced Digital Portable Radios - Tait Electronics Ltd - Global

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this portable? i would be getting a UHF for work, i want to throw in some RX only channels and i am wondering if anyone has had any specific use with this radio?

I am also wondering about the durability of this radio and the P25 and Analog audio?

And does anyone have an off hand price for a portable?

wilcomister

I know its been a while since the post, but out department purchased some of these Tait radios, and all I can say is..... WE ARE IMPRESSED!!

If I recall the department purchased 30 P25 TP9135portables to add to the fire dept. We got 3 Model III TP9155 radios with Admin. features. These radios will allow us to do everything the dispatch console can do, radio checks, Radio monitor, Disable and Enable. As for regular comm, EXCELLENT the receiver is just as good if not better than the Motorola's & Kenwood's we had.

I looked at our P.O. and we got them in a complete package TIPS/TAPS Contract Price Each for

TP9135 Model II: $1081.50 (Non-Encryption Capable)
1000 Channels, P25 CAI, NiMH 2400Mah Battery, and Tri-Chem Charger

TP9155 Model III: $1999.00 (Encryption / Admin Capable)
1000 Channels, P25 CAI, Admin Features, IS Rating, NiMH 2400Mah Battery, and Tri-Chem Charger

Last edited:

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
Thanks for the reply,

Does your dept use analog or digital? and if you use digital how is the P25 audio? is it loud?

and how durable is the radio, im sure being a fire dept you considered durability before purchase,
so i guess what im asking is, will the radio withstand a drop or two?

wilcomister

Yes we are P25 for Dispatch and En-route, then switch to analog for Fire ground & TAC Ops. As for Durability, we already had one fall out of a Tanker when making a sharp turn and it flew straight across the road and had no damage other than a slight gouge on the right rear corner which was the battery. The radio never even turned off. What really impressed the chief was the salesman let him actually throw the portable across air in the conference room with a cement floor. We asked the Kenwood and Mot sales guys and they respectfully declined. We do have 2 XTS5000's and Quality is the exact same. And yes it is loud... I just searched and Tait does have a Youtube channel showing drop tests and all.

verdunr

Premium Subscriber
Tait Info

Hi,

I would be more than happy to talk to you about our Tait TP9100 radios. Feel free to get in touch with me if you need additional information or would like a quote.

Thanks,

Renee Hymel
Tait Radio Communications
(North America)
renee.hymel@taitradio.com

matt131

QRT
Premium Subscriber
I am looking for the tait TP-8115 portable in UHF 450+ mhz. I have used Icom and Kenwood in the past but think Tait maybe a better choice because I need a solid waterproof radio. My only question is programming is the software available to the customer?

Thanks,

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
On the website for the TP9100 (TP9100 Advanced Digital Portable Radios - Tait Electronics Ltd - North America) they mention the radio can be programmed with 30 tactical zones. I'm guessing that means you can just program whatever you need right there on site. And on the bottom, it says that the radios are "interoperability assured" and then talks about open standards, so I'm guessing yes.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber

matt131

QRT
Premium Subscriber
I am looking at the Tait TP9155 and I am seeing 2 versions of it. one version has P25 CAI and one version without P25 CAI. What is the difference? If you get a radio without P25 CAI can P25 be easily added?

Thanks

Abb0

Premium Subscriber
I am looking at the Tait TP9155 and I am seeing 2 versions of it. one version has P25 CAI and one version without P25 CAI. What is the difference? If you get a radio without P25 CAI can P25 be easily added?

Thanks

Yes you can. You can purchase the P25 CAI SFE (software feature enabler) at any time. The same with any of the features such as encryption or trunking etc.

FireMarshalRob

Feed Provider
By far, the Tait 9100 series portable BLOWS away any Motorola or other brand portable as far as durability, crystal clear audio, and RX and TX sensitivity.

I have been using/selling/repairing Motorola for many years and just recently became a Tait dealer. I don't know why anyone would use anyhting else, really great portable. No bells and whistles, just a pure radio.

just my 2 cents.

thomsc

Correct! From a programming point of view the Tait P25 radios are by far a better product. The tait programming application is a logical and easy-to-use windows application, so much better than the disjointed Astro CPS. I have a TM9154 and wish to invest in more tait p25 products.

RodStrong

From a programming point of view the Tait P25 radios are by far a better product. The tait programming application is a logical and easy-to-use windows application, so much better than the disjointed Astro CPS.

I don't know if I'd go that far. I have been messing with the 9100 series P25 trunked & conventional for a couple years now, as well as Motorola for several years. I wouldn't say the Tait software is better. Very different for sure, but not so sure it's better.

However, the radios themselves seem to work well from my relatively limited duty experience with them, and I can't say anything bad about them. The only unanswered question I have is how they will hold up to long term rough duty service. I have not been exposed to that yet.

And a secondary and relatively minor issue, is there are few 3rd party vendors that sell Tait compatible products. I tend to experiment when feasbile with non OEM accessories to save money, but perhaps of more importance, I hate to not have a choice. You don't have much of a choice with Tait. Maybe someday that will change as the company grows.

Good luck.

Abb0

Premium Subscriber
I've heard that UHF is coming and will be available "in the near future".

Status
Not open for further replies.