Taking pictures of the Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

clawhammer

Hey all, I have a Fujifilm Finepix S700 camera. What I would like to do is take pictures of the sun but does anyone know who would have solar filters for cameras that would be at a reasonable price.

Thanks Allen in Florida

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
Hey all, I have a Fujifilm Finepix S700 camera. What I would like to do is take pictures of the sun but does anyone know who would have solar filters for cameras that would be at a reasonable price.
Try and locate a shop or site that deals with astronomical gear. Plan on spending a *lot* of time asking a *lot* questions. Also, plan on spending quite a bit more than `just a *lot*' of money, too.

However, I have some doubts as to whether or not that it will be `easy' as just putting some sort of filtre on the camera lens. I suspect that you will end up with more than one filtre, unless you are going to try for capturing various wavelengths and even then you may well end up having a couple or more filtres on the camera *and* will have spent enough on possibly more than what you spent on the camera. The last time I contemplated doing solar photography I was shocked that it was going to end costing almost more than what my *complete* Pentax LX `system' cost! (And I have an almost complete `system' including motor drive(s) and a couple `bulk film' backs,) Also, I have more doubts as to it being quite as easy as just focusing the camera on the sun. But, if you succede you will have some *very* interesting and bragworthy pictures!

hotrodder

several years ago we had a full solar eclipse's and I put a welding helmet lens on the camera on a tripod. I think it was a number 12 welding lens don't use one from a acetylene torch it's not dark enough. you should be able to buy the welding lens by it's self pretty cheap.

w2xq

Mentor
I've taken pix with a Canon D-20 (now the -60) hung on my Questar with its accompanying Questar solar filter. Great pix of sunspots, but the filter doesn't enable viewing of the corona and flares. If you are flare-hunting you might want to inquire before buying. HTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.