Taking Technician exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

r_eugene1

After several months of study I believe I am ready for my Tech exam which I plan on taking next Thursday (1/5/12). I always have wanted to be an amateur radio operator now I have my chance.

travisd

Take General while youre at it. There's no charge for the second exam when taken at the same time, so nothing to loose.

The practice exams at qrz.com will tell you if you are in the passing ballpark or not. They're the actual questions from the pool, so you can use them as your study material if you wish. When you're consistently passing the practice tests, go take the real thing.

r_eugene1

Passed my Tech exam!

Passed my Tech exam today, didn't feel comfortable taking the General exam but hopefully in a couple of months I should be ready for it.
Just trying to decide on what kind of handheld to buy. Decisions decisions! Any ideas?

Thanks

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Passed my Tech exam today, didn't feel comfortable taking the General exam but hopefully in a couple of months I should be ready for it.
Just trying to decide on what kind of handheld to buy. Decisions decisions! Any ideas?

Thanks

Congrats!

These two handhelds are a couple of good choices.

Yaesu FT-60, Yaesu FT60R 2 Meter HT

Yaesu FT-250R HT, Yaesu FT250

I have a couple of the FT-205R radios because I really don't need a 2/440 handheld right now.

LtDoc

Congratulations!
What hand-held radio? Take a look at all of them to start with. See if any of them 'grab' you for some reason. Then compare prices (ouch!).
A couple of things to keep in mind about all hand-held radios.
They are all limited in ability/convenience primarily because of their small size. That 'size' thingy is most evident with the antenna! That's the biggest limitation with them. Antennas are dependent on physical size, which in most cases has nothing to do with convenience. To an absolutely ridiculous extent, bigger is better. There's a huge difference between being 'adequate' and working well. The better the antenna works the more inconvenient it will be on a hand-held radio.
Another aspect is supplying power to that HT. Batteries are not an unlimited supplier of power, they run down. Having more than one battery is a very good idea (AND the appropriate charger!).
One of the first things you should do is find out what repeaters are close to you! Got lots of repeaters? Then an HT will probably do you just dandy. No repeaters very close to you? Uh... an HT probably isn't your best choice.
The best advice I can think of is to not stop with the Technician class of license! There's a whole 'nuther galaxy of possibilities with the General and Extra classes of licenses. They -add too- the possibilities of use and don't limit you in any way. the only 'limit' is what you 'think' you can do.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

And while I'm thinking about it, why not take a look at the 'Wouxun' brand of HT's? They will do as much as most of the big name brands and are very economical (read that as cheap).

r_eugene1

Congratulations!
What hand-held radio? Take a look at all of them to start with. See if any of them 'grab' you for some reason. Then compare prices (ouch!).
A couple of things to keep in mind about all hand-held radios.
They are all limited in ability/convenience primarily because of their small size. That 'size' thingy is most evident with the antenna! That's the biggest limitation with them. Antennas are dependent on physical size, which in most cases has nothing to do with convenience. To an absolutely ridiculous extent, bigger is better. There's a huge difference between being 'adequate' and working well. The better the antenna works the more inconvenient it will be on a hand-held radio.
Another aspect is supplying power to that HT. Batteries are not an unlimited supplier of power, they run down. Having more than one battery is a very good idea (AND the appropriate charger!).
One of the first things you should do is find out what repeaters are close to you! Got lots of repeaters? Then an HT will probably do you just dandy. No repeaters very close to you? Uh... an HT probably isn't your best choice.
The best advice I can think of is to not stop with the Technician class of license! There's a whole 'nuther galaxy of possibilities with the General and Extra classes of licenses. They -add too- the possibilities of use and don't limit you in any way. the only 'limit' is what you 'think' you can do.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

And while I'm thinking about it, why not take a look at the 'Wouxun' brand of HT's? They will do as much as most of the big name brands and are very economical (read that as cheap).
Thanks to everyone on their replies I really appreciate it very much. As far as being close to repeaters (on 2m/70cm) there are several in a close proximity of where I live so I should do OK. I already have an ICOM 3230 mobile unit for my truck all that is needed is a 2m/70cm whip to go on my NMO mag mount which I hope to order shortly. As for HT's, I have been looking at some of the BIG THREE radios but also have looked at the Wouxun units. I have watched several video's and read numerous reviews on them and am very well pleased with what I saw. I know that I have a few amateur radio operators I can call on if I have any problems. Thanks again everyone for your help.

I am planning on getting my technician's licence this summer and may consider taking the general as well. The only question I have is: If I pass the technician's but fail the general, do I still get a technician's licence or do I have to take the test over again? Thanks.

r_eugene1

I am planning on getting my technician's licence this summer and may consider taking the general as well. The only question I have is: If I pass the technician's but fail the general, do I still get a technician's licence or do I have to take the test over again? Thanks.
If you pass your technicians exam and fail the general you still get your technician license. Good luck on your exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.