• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Talk Group List Max of 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyCono

Premium Subscriber
Unication G5: Is there anyway to exceed the 64 max talk groups in PPS- D5-Talk Group List? I would like to enter many, many more TGs in a Trunking TG-Monitor knob position. This would help to identify known TGs while making new or unknown TGs more obvious. It would be great if there was some way to get a Trunking TG-Monitor knob position to look at the list in D4 instead of adding available TGs to the List Members in D5.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
As I think you've explained, if you program a knob/zone position to a single site and set the receiving mode to "Trunking TG-Monitor" instead of "Trunking TG-Scan", that will enable you to receive any TG from that site; even those you cannot fit within the 64 TG parameter. However, all you'll see on the display is the actual TG, and not any alpha description. There's no current way to allow D5 to query D4 for the TG description. With the future firmware option discussed here, perhaps this will be possible, but there's no current indication of that.

TonyCono

Premium Subscriber
As I think you've explained, if you program a knob/zone position to a single site and set the receiving mode to "Trunking TG-Monitor" instead of "Trunking TG-Scan", that will enable you to receive any TG from that site; even those you cannot fit within the 64 TG parameter. However, all you'll see on the display is the actual TG, and not any alpha description. There's no current way to allow D5 to query D4 for the TG description. With the future firmware option discussed here, perhaps this will be possible, but there's no current indication of that.
Thanks. That is what I was assuming but I thought I would ask just in case someone found a way to get by the 64 TGs max.

N6ML

One issue is that the list on tab D4 is not organised by system, so if the same TGID (number) is used on multiple systems, for different purposes, how would it know which is the correct one when receiving a message?

Indeed this may be something that gets improved in the future, as/if more scanner-like capabilities are developed.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
One issue is that the list on tab D4 is not organised by system, so if the same TGID (number) is used on multiple systems, for different purposes, how would it know which is the correct one when receiving a message?
I wouldn't be sure that happens in practice, however. There should be enough combinations of 3, 4, and 5 digit TGID's (approximately 100,000 I believe) that I don't think there'd be any TG used more than once, especially in a given geographic area.

N6ML

I wouldn't be sure that happens in practice, however. There should be enough combinations of 3, 4, and 5 digit TGID's (approximately 100,000 I believe) that I don't think there'd be any TG used more than once, especially in a given geographic area.

That would be a very poor assumption to make. To realise that would require coordination between communication system authorities. Coordinating frequencies is difficult enough - I can't imagine them doing it for TGIDs, when there's no real value in doing so.

As proof by counter-example; I can hear both the East Bay Regional Communications System (EBRCS) and the Sacramento Regional Radio Communications System (SRRCS). TGID 3505 is Pleasanton PD1 Dispatch on the former and Twin Rivers Unified School District Police Tac 1 on the latter.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I would have thought there was some type of regional or federal "assignment" of TGID's so as to maintain order. But then I suppose that given different system parameters, there's no chance of one system interfering with another because of a "shared" TGID.

Status
Not open for further replies.