Talk Group noise?? Looking for info..

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardnNC

Premium Subscriber
I am in Vance County NC.. and I keep getting noise with a talk group id of i1814. I am not sure what the "i" is for.

Is anyone familiar with this id?

kc4jgc

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Not enough info.
What scanner do you have?
What system does this come up on?

troymail

Silent Key
I am in Vance County NC.. and I keep getting noise with a talk group id of i1814. I am not sure what the "i" is for.

Is anyone familiar with this id?

Assuming this is on your BCD436HP, it sounds like it's what is called a I-Call or "private call" (1 radio calling to another radio vs. a "group" call on a talkgroup). I'm assuming it's a digital system and one of two things are happening:

1. the call is encryped and you're just hearing the encrypted data noise, or
2. you're hearing improperly decoded digital voice

Without more details, it's hard to really say for sure.

For #2 above - since getting my 536, I've heard some digital (unencrypted) I-Calls that were decoding in a fairly "sloppy" way... meaning, there was voice at times but typically when one user stopped talking and the other started, the radio was struggling to decode the start of the voice and eventually settled down - but that happened every time the "other" end / user started talking. I'd hear the digital noise before voice ("motorboating").

I believe the reasons for this are that the radio wasn't told in advance that the I-Call is going to be analog or digital so it has to determine this "as it receives" - probably treating it as analog at first and then switching to digital decode when it "figures it out".

This is also probably the reason some of us are seeing a delay in the start of digital voice (digital decode) on regular digital talkgroups during normal scanning.

EdwardnNC

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Not enough info.
What scanner do you have?
What system does this come up on?

436HP
Viper site - sometimes Oxford, sometimes Oxford Water Tower

EdwardnNC

Premium Subscriber
Assuming this is on your BCD436HP, it sounds like it's what is called a I-Call or "private call" (1 radio calling to another radio vs. a "group" call on a talkgroup). I'm assuming it's a digital system and one of two things are happening:

1. the call is encryped and you're just hearing the encrypted data noise, or
2. you're hearing improperly decoded digital voice

Without more details, it's hard to really say for sure.

For #2 above - since getting my 536, I've heard some digital (unencrypted) I-Calls that were decoding in a fairly "sloppy" way... meaning, there was voice at times but typically when one user stopped talking and the other started, the radio was struggling to decode the start of the voice and eventually settled down - but that happened every time the "other" end / user started talking. I'd hear the digital noise before voice ("motorboating").

I believe the reasons for this are that the radio wasn't told in advance that the I-Call is going to be analog or digital so it has to determine this "as it receives" - probably treating it as analog at first and then switching to digital decode when it "figures it out".

This is also probably the reason some of us are seeing a delay in the start of digital voice (digital decode) on regular digital talkgroups during normal scanning.

I do not hear any voices.. just white noise.
I am not really trying to listen to it at all.. but whenever I see a talk group ID pop up, I write it down and try to figure out what it is by going through some of the groups in VIPER.

Thank you both for the help!!

EdwardnNC

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
436HP
Viper site - sometimes Oxford, sometimes Oxford Water Tower

For the record VIPER does NOT use Private Calls/I-Calls at all statewide.
The system can not handle normal two way radio activity plus Private Calls
so that feature is disabled statewide.
From the official VIPER programming guide:
d3otj3i.jpg

Marshall KE4ZNR

trumpetman

Database Admin
This error is prevalent across the state. I've noticed it on sites in all of the zones, I'm seeing i8136 come across a site in zone 3 right now. Divide 8136 by 16 and you get 508. My guess would be it's a jumbled partial command that the scanner gets from a packet that carries the system ID (in this case C508). It's definitely in the scanner, and only in my Uniden scanners at that. Just lock it out and move along.

Status
Not open for further replies.