Talk groups (DEC) into frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3kti

I have a list of talk groups for example(17238) how do you know what frequency they are? I like to be able to put them in my radio. Any help will be appreciated . Ty very much. Bob

troymail

Silent Key
I have a list of talk groups for example(17238) how do you know what frequency they are? I like to be able to put them in my radio. Any help will be appreciated . Ty very much. Bob

Talkgroups are completely different from frequencies.

We need more info.

Where did you get that list of talkgroups?
Where are you located?

17328 stood out n my mind right away because it is the talkgroup id for Anne Arundel police Northern district.... but it could be almost anything - it depends on the system those IDs are related to.

What kind of scanner do you have?

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Frequencies vs Talk Groups

Talk groups are used in trunked radio systems to identify groups of users sharing the pool of frequencies in the system. They do not correspond to discrete frequencies because the trunking system assigns frequencies independent of the user. For example, a municipal trunked system would have talk groups for police, fire and other city services. All the users would share the pool of frequencies, but each would have their own talk group and not be aware of other users. This is why programing trunked systems can become so complicated. Once a system is programmed you can lock out talk groups that you're not interested in. Most scanners can also operate in a search mode to find new talk groups.

n3kti

Reply to 2 answers.

I have a bc396t radio .i am in glen burnie md.i got the list off of radio reference.com. If I put some of. These in my radio how do I listen to them? Ty bob

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Bob, I'm quite certain we went through this before - so let me just point you to the article we have in our wiki which has links that will inform you on virtually everything you need to get started.

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

As you are asking about trunking, there are 2 links (always blue) in that third bullet on this topic. In addition the Easier to Read manual links are at the bottom. Take your time and read - there's a lot of new concepts, very different from the things we hams use, and it sometimes takes time

When you're ready I have a AA county FreeScan file (I used to live in GB) that I can send you as an example. Contact me at ka3jjz (at) comcast (dot) net when you're all set up. Make sure you tell me *precisely* what it is you're looking for

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.