talk groups for harrisonburg/rockingham county

Status
Not open for further replies.

scappy30

anyone have the talk groups for harrisonburg/rockingham county? their new communication system should be up and running soon i think. thanx for any help i get!!!

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
have you tried programming in the control channel(s) and put the scanner in TG search mode? you may get some testing of the system. you can get the CCs from the database on here.

scappy30

talkgroups for harrisonburg/rockingham county

sir, i dont have a digital scanner. yet!!! i was waiting for the new system to get up and running before i went to buy the new uniden scanner 396t.i want to make sure that the scanner will pick up the new system.i am new at this digital scanning thing.conventional scanning i get and understand. i thought i could stay ahead of the game as far as getting the talkgroups.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
the system here is digital and I knew it was coming so I bought the 396T before it was implemented. I would suggest get it now if you know for sure the system is going to be used sometime soon (6 months or so). if I were to have gotten one after the system was in place, I would have been really lost. use the time now to learn how to use the scanner. if you ever go to Charlottesville or Albemarle County, you can monitor their system.

scappy30

the new system they are using is the edacs standard/apco-25 open air interface.i am saving some money right now for the new scanner, but you have a valid point.the reading i have done on the scanner makes it seem so complicated.i hope not.my source who works for a local police agency told me they have the radios in, but could be up to a year before it gets started.do you like charlottesvilles new system? does it break it down far enough to were you can look at your scanner to see who is communicating?hope i dont sound like an idiot. like i said before, conventional scanning i got that down pretty good, thats what this area has been doing for years, but trunking, and this new digital stuff im lost.i have the uniden bc 250d scanner right now,but not the digital card.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I cannot answer about C'Ville's system since I have not monitored it. the last time I was there, it was all analog.

if it's going to be a year or more for the system, I would wait to get the scanner. who knows what new radios will be out then. you could wait until you see something on here about the digital system. maybe get it when they just start testing.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Charlottesville / Albemarle County is nearly all digital, and yes scappy, your scanner display will indicate exactly what alpha tag you have programmed. I'm with Mike, get the scanner and be ready to get first hand info when the system fires up. They'll run for awhile with test coms, thus you will only see a couple of Id's in the beginning, but soon, the regular users will be talking. Charlottesville started slowly also, but they are booming today.

The 9600 CC 800 MHz Mot system down here in Williamsburg/JCC and York County started in late 05, and is also booming today.

The new VA STARS 9600 CC 150 MHz Mot system is also online in Div 1, but recent reports indicate they overloaded the system and my need to reallocate frequencies prior to expanding to other divisions.

Anyway, get the scanner and have fun. :D

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
another reason to get the scanner before the system is being used is (as the case where I am), the new system went online without me knowing it would. I came home and turned on my old RS Pro-43 and heard nothing. after an hour or so, I got the uniden 396T out and it was full of activity.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Waite a minute... This is a ma/com digital. Will a digital scanner track & decode it? I am under the impression at this time the answer is "no". I'll go back and look, but I think the system is P25, however most of the communications are going to be pro-voice, or whatever format (I don't know much about digital). I spoke to the communications director and asked him if a scanner was able to monitor this and the answer was basically no. I think the P25 part of the system is going to be for mutual-aid talk-groups, etc. I am going to be one of the users- one who is disappointed by a digital move, but one who is glad we are getting a system with better coverage, as well as more channels.

I have the frequencies for this in the scanner in my vehicle, but I've turned the banks off. I do not think they are doing any testing as of yet, but could be wrong. I'll have to turn the banks back on.

moparth

Premium Subscriber
I'm very interested in this also, any more info about the 396 and 996 scanners working with the Rockingham Ma/Com system ??

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I still don't think the digital scanners currently on the market today will monitor this sytem. In fact, I believe the communications director told me directly they would not, but who knows about future products. When I have more time, I'll dig through old emails & info and post some more information.

Scappy had the correct type of system on his posts... I could be wrong, but I don't think you'll be able to listen with a scanner. :(

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
tglendye said:
I still don't think the digital scanners currently on the market today will monitor this sytem. In fact, I believe the communications director told me directly they would not, but who knows about future products. When I have more time, I'll dig through old emails & info and post some more information.

Scappy had the correct type of system on his posts... I could be wrong, but I don't think you'll be able to listen with a scanner. :(

maybe that's what he was told and he doesn't know for sure. working in IT, you get that all the time from people who are "supposed to know". maybe he's telling you that to discourage you?

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
There has been extensive discuession about the fact that there is NOT a scanner that will decode ProVoice.

gcgrotz

I was reading an article in MT about the Fla system and how the CC is encrypted so it cannot be decoded (legally) even if you had the equipment. It seems they don't want ANYBODY to listen. That's a real loss to them if you think about how many times scanner listeners will spot something and call 911. I've personally done that at least twice I can think of.

A question: could P25 be used on such a system? You could then scan the channels non-trunked and hear traffic that wasn't encrypted. An area like Rockingham wouldn't be all that busy so maybe you could follow it somewhat.

Another question: I thought APCO was pushing P25 as a "standard" air interface?

An opinion: Maybe our tax dollars shouldn't be used for an agency that doesn't use a "standard" air interface...

moparth

Premium Subscriber
Well, I just purchased a 396T to experiment with, if I hear any testing of the Rockingham system I'll post it right away. What a scanner, very awkward to use compared to other scanners and receivers, the Butel software makes it much easier though.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
moparth said:
Well, I just purchased a 396T to experiment with, if I hear any testing of the Rockingham system I'll post it right away. What a scanner, very awkward to use compared to other scanners and receivers, the Butel software makes it much easier though.

get the beta version of the Butel software...it's a lot better

also, I found the 396T to be hard to use at first. I would use the software to get me up and running then tried to figure out the manual programming later. after almost a year, I think I have it down.

I pass through Rockingham Co on once in a while so any info would be nice. :)

have fun.

scappy30

been a while since i last posted, thanx for all the info everybody.i will just wait and see if the new uniden scanner will pick up the new system in harrisonburg /rockingham county.i would hate to spend 500.00 dollars and it not benefit me.if anyone finds any info on this new system please let me know.i will do the same.when they do switch, will you still be able to hear on a conventional scanner? or will they, the old scanners become obsolete?

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
scappy30 said:
been a while since i last posted, thanx for all the info everybody.i will just wait and see if the new uniden scanner will pick up the new system in harrisonburg /rockingham county.i would hate to spend 500.00 dollars and it not benefit me.if anyone finds any info on this new system please let me know.i will do the same.when they do switch, will you still be able to hear on a conventional scanner? or will they, the old scanners become obsolete?

if they go all digital, you will hear nothing but noise on an analog scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.