Talk-groups for I-95 in VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI4SXZ

I travel 2-3 times a year to N.C. along I-95, I was wondering which talk-groups on STARS would be best to monitor along my travels. Also any other channels.

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Travel_Reference_(VA)_I-95

Here is a good starting point. I usually just run all the VSP talkgroups as I go. Because its a huge multisite system, you'll lose many of talkgroups right off the bat. Sometimes I leave every talkgroup on and see what i get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredva

Feed Provider
I can give you a few north of Richmond. Get the VSP talkgroups for Fairfax 1, Fairfax 2, Culpeper 2, Richmond 1, and Richmond 2. Closer to the NC border, one of the Chesapeake talkgroups will be used, but I'm not sure which one.

EDIT: Sorry - Culpeper 1, not Culpeper 2.

Last edited:

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Thanks, I have looked over the RR DB for the system, and yes there are a lot of talk-groups on this system, more than I have seen for larger states. I will try these and let you know back what I hear after my 4th July trip. I guess I will put in all the what appear to be troop talk-groups that you have listed, and what are these Blue Red etc channels? Are there any conventional channels I should listen to?

I have put in sites numbers 12,18,6,11,15,10,13, 28,27,29,1 and 2 since according to RR DB those sites seem to cover I-95.

I am using an xts5000 radio in non-affiliate scan, has anybody got the channel ID assignments for that radio, or should I just put one ID in for each of the base frequencies listed for the Pro-96.

Last edited:

mikext

Chesapeake 2 South from Prince George/Sussex county on I-95 to Carolina line. Chesapeake 1 is actually the Peninsula and Eastern Shore.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
I travel 2-3 times a year to N.C. along I-95, I was wondering which talk-groups on STARS would be best to monitor along my travels. Also any other channels.

First, seek mental help. Over the last 10-15 years I-95 has become an absolutely hellish, suicidal mess that is jammed more often than not, even at night. If you can sneak through late at night or in the wee hours of the morning that would be the best time to traverse it. Better still, take Delaware 1, US113, and US13 down to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel and work your way around the Norfolk area.

You can hear a lot of good info on the VDOT talkgroups as they will mention disabled vehicles that might be blocking your way or otherwise cause problems, even if the police don't have the call or get involved. Because of the nature of the system you'll typically only hear stuff affiliated with sites nearby so it's self-selecting, as mentioned above.

There's more conventional stuff in use south of Petersburg while most everything north of there up to D.C. is trunked. Emporia police LOVE to fill the city coffers by running speed enforcement on their little stretch of I-95, although with recent construction the traffic never gets up to speed anyway. They're on NXDN I think so I don't hear them.

I put up a trimmed down code plug on my Google Drive that I use in my Uniden 996 scanners when I'm crazy enough to travel I-95 between Richmond and D.C. It contains what few conventional frequencies are still in use along there.

Status
Not open for further replies.