Talk groups ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KO4IPV

I hope I have chosen the correct forum for this question ! I am very new to this so hope this isint a silly question to any of you wizards out there . What is a talk group and can this talk group involve the PD Or FD ?

Saint

Premium Subscriber
I hope I have chosen the correct forum for this question ! I am very new to this so hope this isint a silly question to any of you wizards out there . What is a talk group and can this talk group involve the PD Or FD ?
A talkgroup is an assigned group on a trunked radio system. Unlike a conventional radio which assigns users a certain frequency, a trunk system takes a number of frequencies allocated to the system. Then the control channel coordinates the system so talkgroups can share these frequencies seamlessly.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
See this Wiki page for some basic information regarding trunked radio systems.
Trunking Basics - The RadioReference Wiki

A talkgroup ID, on a trunked system, could be assigned to any agency that uses the system. That could be PD, FD, Public Works, Water Utility, and others that use the same system.

KO4IPV

A talkgroup is an assigned group on a trunked radio system. Unlike a conventional radio which assigns users a certain frequency, a trunk system takes a number of frequencies allocated to the system. Then the control channel coordinates the system so talkgroups can share these frequencies seamlessly.
So is this something that my scanner automatically does or do I need to adjust my settings?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Well, it is a little more complicated than that owing to what kind of scanner you have. If you are using a newer Uniden scanner (the kind that has the removable SD card) if you "find" a new talkgroup because you are doing an ID Search and store it, you will be asked to enter a Service Type for that. Examples are Fire Dispatch, Fire Talk and Fire Tac. The service type has to be enabled in your profile.

So talkgroup ID number 123 that in your particular system might be assigned as an EMS Dispatch talkgroup. If you program that in a Favorites List, you'll need to verify the "EMS Dispatch" Service Type is enabled in your Profile. If not, you won't hear it because all of the conditions necessary to hear a channel are not present. (Does meet Talkgroup ID but does NOT meet Service Type).

KO4IPV

Well, it is a little more complicated than that owing to what kind of scanner you have. If you are using a newer Uniden scanner (the kind that has the removable SD card) if you "find" a new talkgroup because you are doing an ID Search and store it, you will be asked to enter a Service Type for that. Examples are Fire Dispatch, Fire Talk and Fire Tac. The service type has to be enabled in your profile.

So talkgroup ID number 123 that in your particular system might be assigned as an EMS Dispatch talkgroup. If you program that in a Favorites List, you'll need to verify the "EMS Dispatch" Service Type is enabled in your Profile. If not, you won't hear it because all of the conditions necessary to hear a channel are not present. (Does meet Talkgroup ID but does NOT meet Service Type).
Thankyou for that info for me as a beginner is quite a mouth full, trying to understand all this, yes I have a new type scanner Bearcat 436 I am waiting for a new programed chip , hope that will make things easier for me.

KO4IPV

I am waiting for a new programed chip

exactly what do you mean by that ?
That means Bearcat wearhouse is shipping me a new programed chip to replace the one I have, for adding more frequency’s (County’s) exstra and addition to what I have , not equipped to install myself.

wtp

i believe the radio has everything in the radio reference database.
i don't see why you would need more.
and even if it changes, the radio can be updated.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
That means Bearcat wearhouse is shipping me a new programed chip to replace the one I have, for adding more frequency’s (County’s) exstra and addition to what I have , not equipped to install myself.

Your scanner (BCD436HP) already has the entire North American database of frequencies in it.

KO4IPV

Your scanner (BCD436HP) already has the entire North American database of frequencies in it.

This is what I was informed to do by Bearcat warehouse, in order to receive all frequencies in my surroundings county’s. Therefore installing by computer download instead of by manually, would be much more efficient receiving frequency s than loading myself.

KO4IPV

i believe the radio has everything in the radio reference database.
i don't see why you would need more.
and even if it changes, the radio can be updated.
Mmmm ya I really don’t get why they advised me in this direction if my 436 has everything in already

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Mmmm ya I really don’t get why they advised me in this direction if my 436 has everything in already

Because they make money doing it, unless they are offering you the service for free?

Just looking at the Bearcat Warehouse website... looks like they are charging $45 - $55 for the card with programming on it?

If so, that's a total rip-off. You can buy a top notch blank SD card for $10, and program it yourself from the Sentinel software (that contains the entire database) in a matter of minutes. There are many, many videos on you tube, and lots of help in this forum to do it yourself if you need help with that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P14QHB7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Status
Not open for further replies.