• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Talk Permit Tone XTS 5000R

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEProgner

I have an XTS 5000R, I have looked through the other threads about the talk permit tone, but only found people wanting to change it to the "3 beeps". I have MDC1200 programmed, and I want to GET RID of the talk permit tone all together. Is this possible? Trying to clear a building is hard enough without stupid tones emitting from my radio. Sorry, I should add the radio is used in conventional, so the tone is a steady tone.

Last edited:

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Since you have a permit tone I assume your on a trunked system. If you are and you want to change something in the radios set up it would require changes in the radio with the CPS. If its on a trunked system the only person who should make any changes to the program is the system admin or one of their techs.

RKG

Most likely the steady tone you are referring to is an MDC "sidetone." This is emitted to prevent you from talking over the PTT-ID while your radio is sending it, which (if done) results in clipping your initial words. You have two choices:

A) Disable the PTT-ID.

B) Disable the sidetone, and be disciplined enough to pause for a second or two after pressing the PTT and before beginning to speak.

Both of these functions are controlled from the Conventional-MDC System screen for the MDC system associated with the "conventional personality" for the channel in question. Un-checking "Leading PTT-ID" will disable sending the MDC PTT-ID for all channels using this MDC System. Unchecking "PTT-ID Sidetone" (leaving "Leading PTT-ID" checked) will preserve the sending of the PTT-ID but disable the sidetone.

SCPD

QRT
You could use the "PTT ID Short Sidetone"
All you would hear is a short beep not the long steady tone.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Or you can set PTT ID to Post.

I was going to say the same thing, but some departments do not allow Post ID as a user can turn their radio off before they unkey and never be identified. There was a person doing that at one of my former jobs. They'd key up, cause all sorts of interference and then turn the radio off before they unkeyed. They got caught, but it was just a hassle, so the powers that be changed all radios to Pre-ID. Never had a problem after that.

RKG

Many of my clients use Pre- ID on repeated channels and Post- ID on direct. This gives both the user and the listener an audible clue if direct has been selected.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I was going to say the same thing, but some departments do not allow Post ID as a user can turn their radio off before they unkey and never be identified. There was a person doing that at one of my former jobs. They'd key up, cause all sorts of interference and then turn the radio off before they unkeyed. They got caught, but it was just a hassle, so the powers that be changed all radios to Pre-ID. Never had a problem after that.

I understand. When I used to work for a Comm Shop we had a client who had their employees messing on the radio as well so they bought new radios that allowed MDC and programmed for MDC and cut down on the horse playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.