• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Talkback

Status
Not open for further replies.

StinkyB

What is the purpose of talkback? Is that what causes the echo that is heard alot on cb's?

freqs

What is the purpose of talkback? Is that what causes the echo that is heard alot on cb's?
talkback;is when you can hear yourself from the speaker of the radio when you key up and talk it does not cause the echo The echo is from a echo mic or echo board put in the radio

Talkback allows the CB operator to carry on a conversation with hiimself, because no one will talk to him.

2beers4me

Really the only use is to adjust echo, and ,or reverb. You got to get that cheesed out super trucker sound just perfect.

canav844

Think of it like the monitor musicians use to hear themselves or a particular instrument in the song, it's just a feed of yourself, keep it low so there's no feed back but it is a decent indicator of how you're "getting out" I had a mic go bad and the way I figured out why I wasn't getting out was I heard my voice shorting on the talkback. then I realized it was in relation to the cord position of the mic, and had it narrowed down to a defective part within seconds.

The quality of CB is all about where you are and who's around, I'm in an area where it's an extremely effective road condition monitor, there's areas it's alot like 2m simplex without poeple IDing and there's area's where there's so much crap you just shut it off.

BrigPilgrim

With a loud ping machine and a booming echo you make your voice heard over all the other purveyors of wisdom in CB world.

It keeps your voice from getting lost in the crowd.

KD8DVR

Really the only use is to adjust echo, and ,or reverb. You got to get that cheesed out super trucker sound just perfect.

Yep.. you need the talkback to get your signal just perfect(ly messed up) To do that, you need to hear yourself.

This is only used by the criminal good buddies, a normal human (ok.. how many normal humans even bother with CB?) does not need a talkback.

reedeb

Wow!! So much angry responces about CB. Yes it's unregulated unlicensed and gets out of hand, BUT what of the lives it saved in the past and help it has given folks with directions and conversation?

Talk back will allow you to here yourself talk and is used a lot to check the quality of yur sound coming out. Some use it with the echo to [if properly used] to keep the echo down just enough to be understood by folks close to you and those father off to understand you better.

When I used an echo mike I would use the talkv\back to adjust the echo to keep it as low as possible

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"Yes it's unregulated unlicensed and gets out of hand, BUT what of the lives it saved in the past and help it has given folks with directions and conversation?"

Bring up past accomplishments with your boss and he'll say "But what have you done for me lately?" Basically you said it all yourself but had you listened you'd be aware why so many hate CB. Now I ask you this, why do you need echo, noisemakers and all that claptrap, can't you just TALK? Next question, if you can just talk why all the dumb expressions and lingo that makes no sense at all? With a few exceptions it's pretty clear why CBers are looked upon as weirdos.

I leave you with this to ponder;
"What CB has turned into the best person to talk to is your self anymore."
And what makes you think yourself is the best person to talk to? (;->)

reedeb

why do you need echo, noisemakers and all that claptrap, can't you just TALK

Noisemakers and claptrap NO!! BUT Echo will asist your modulation when talking to a station a bit out there in the distance

AND ponder this, YOU are what makes ANY radio system good OR bad. If you diss one over another you are not any better then someone who uses the system incorrectly.

jhooten

Why would any idiot put an echo mic on a Connex 3300 that has echo built in?

Why would any idiot take the frequency control out of the front panel of an RCI 2970 and add some dorky looking pot/switch to control the echo box when they could just add an echo mic?

(BTW, does anyone have a spare frequency control for a 2970 they would like to part with? 10 meters will be opening back up soon.)

reedeb

Why would any idiot put an echo mic on a Connex 3300 that has echo built in?

Why would any idiot take the frequency control out of the front panel of an RCI 2970 and add some dorky looking pot/switch to control the echo box when they could just add an echo mic?

(BTW, does anyone have a spare frequency control for a 2970 they would like to part with? 10 meters will be opening back up soon.)
OK, Where did this come from? No one has said anything of what you are talking about.

jhooten

No talk of echo in this thread, check.

The question is why do some Good Buddies feel the need to have to add more signal distorting equipment to their radio so they have add talk back so they can hear just how distorted their signal is?

DX949

Banned
why do you need echo, noisemakers and all that claptrap, can't you just TALK

Noisemakers and claptrap NO!! BUT Echo will asist your modulation when talking to a station a bit out there in the distance

AND ponder this, YOU are what makes ANY radio system good OR bad. If you diss one over another you are not any better then someone who uses the system incorrectly.

reebeed,imagine having to listen to this guy on Ham radio TALK,no thanks.He is no better than a echo box on a CB he keeps dissing,he keeps saying the same thing on this THread over and over again,I'm sure he's no different on the hf bands.
Talk about choke and puke,he serves it well.

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Banned
"BUT Echo will asist your modulation when talking to a station a bit out there in the distance "
Since when? A low signal to noise ratio is bad enough but when you degrade intelligibility it only gets harder to hear. Under weak signal conditions what is needed is clarity, not distortion. Frankly under any signal conditions clarity is preferable to ear bleed.

"AND ponder this, YOU are what makes ANY radio system good OR bad."
There is nothing to ponder when you consider the fact the operator has full control over the system, not the other way round.

"If you diss one over another you are not any better then someone who uses the system incorrectly."
As Colonel Potter was so fond of saying, HORSE HOCKEY! If good operators are no better than poor ones there's something terribly wrong with your thinking.

"The question is why do some Good Buddies feel the need to have to add more signal distorting equipment to their radio so they have add talk back so they can hear just how distorted their signal is?"
So they can confirm the reason why they get poor signal reports and the other guy keeps asking for them to repeat what they said. On the other hand they think it sounds cool and there's nothing can compare with a cool fool when it comes to stroking one's own ego.

Somehow that goofy kid Stewart on MAD TV comes to mind; "Hey look what I can do!"

The bottom line here is some people just can't get it through their heads that a clean signal with good intelligibility will get them farther than audio that sounds like it was processed with a cheese grater.

Alain, It's darn well past time I speak up and now I ask you why you don't find another house to haunt? You're a STALKER and a monkey on my back, NOW GET LOST!

Last edited:

DX949

Banned
"Yes it's unregulated unlicensed and gets out of hand, BUT what of the lives it saved in the past and help it has given folks with directions and conversation?"

Bring up past accomplishments with your boss and he'll say "But what have you done for me lately?" Basically you said it all yourself but had you listened you'd be aware why so many hate CB. Now I ask you this, why do you need echo, noisemakers and all that claptrap, can't you just TALK? Next question, if you can just talk why all the dumb expressions and lingo that makes no sense at all? With a few exceptions it's pretty clear why CBers are looked upon as weirdos.

I leave you with this to ponder;
"What CB has turned into the best person to talk to is your self anymore."
And what makes you think yourself is the best person to talk to? (;->)

Thank you for your insight Professor know-it-all.
YouTube - The new Hamband video Talk about weirdos check this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.