Talkgroup Id's

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt48601

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased a Uniden Bcd396xt and was working on programming it today. I went to add the talkgroup id's in one of our cities and I noticed instead of the usual 4 to 5 numbers long id's there was only 3 numbers. I was wondering if that would still work or is there some numbers missing?

N8IAA

I recently purchased a Uniden Bcd396xt and was working on programming it today. I went to add the talkgroup id's in one of our cities and I noticed instead of the usual 4 to 5 numbers long id's there was only 3 numbers. I was wondering if that would still work or is there some numbers missing?

If you are speaking of the HEX, or DEC TGID's, most all of us use the HEX, which are typical for scanner users. The DEC version is what is used in the actual public service radios. The scanner will take both, but then, you are duplicating the ID's.
HTH,
Larry

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
You should be fine with programming short talkgroup IDs. It really depends on the system radio techs who decide how talkgorup IDs should be setup. Some systems start off with talkgroup ID 1 and go up from there, others have some kind of system wide numbering scheme that has additional numbers. In the end, you're plugging in a talkgroup to listen to that has been predetermined in some manner and it won't really matter if the TG is 5 digits or 1 digit.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
DEC talk groups in Motorola systems start at 16 and go in steps of 32 up to 60000 or so; 16, 48, 80, 112, etc.

No, they go up in steps of 16.

Motorola used to suggest that odd numbered talkgroups be used (1, 3, 5, etc) so the Priority Monitor feature could work properly. However, most systems do not use this feature so they use both odd and even.

Status
Not open for further replies.