Talkgroups Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greatescape

Premium Subscriber
Thought I would get thru programming new BCD996XT without bugging someone...have done a pretty good job on my own but need help in one area...TALKGROUPS...I have searched everywhere to find out where exactly do they get programmed into what section of a system (site, group, or where)...can i edit them into an existing system or do i have to start over...if you would just point me to where the explanation is, you won't have to go into any detail...thanks in advance

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As a brief description; you first allocate a system (which in the case of the XT scanners, is simply a place to hold things like all the sites and talkgroups), then build each of your site(s). Then you enter groups which, in the case of a trunked system, contains talkgroups. This is the lowest logical portion of the chain.

Are you using software? And if so, which package? It would likely be easier if you saw an example

Mike

Greatescape

Premium Subscriber
I did not originally use a program..just programmed in several frequencies to see if scanner worked which it did..then created System, Site, Group and frequencies manually (do not have all that many entities I want to scan)...everything is working great...I just did not know about the talk groups at that time...can I just go back an edit a system and enter the talkgroups (only 4 needed)...if so are they entered in the DEC section of the system??

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
What is the 'DEC section of the system'?

If you mean how the talkgroups are represented in our database, then yes, you would normally use the DECimal versions of the listings.

It would be much easier, though, to simply get a USB cable, get FreeScan (which is freeware) and download your current configuration. Add the groups with the talkgroups you want, then upload it. I would imagine that it could be done manually (no doubt lots of keystrokes) but to be frank, most folks tend to program these radios with software. You are to be commended for getting as far as you did manually.

Here are the associated links...

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

https://sites.google.com/site/sixspotsoftware//products/freescan

Mike

Greatescape

Premium Subscriber
Well, somehow I got everything I wanted, by accident i guess...I was just practicing with a couple of entries to see how well it worked and was going to freescan after that to really set it up...After putting in the control frequencies for Viper in my county and after the first reply to my question, I went and started writing down the ID's from the search...ended up with 17 verified and working talkgroups...Checked the database to see where they were and they are all in the area that I wanted so I guess dumb worked in this case...am actually getting one talkgroup 100 miles away with stock antenna (verified as I am familiar with the streets that were being referred to in that town)...Will now take the time to set it up properly in freescan...still don't know how the talkgroups were generated but they are there...thank you for your time...

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Well, somehow I got everything I wanted, by accident i guess...I was just practicing with a couple of entries to see how well it worked and was going to freescan after that to really set it up...After putting in the control frequencies for Viper in my county and after the first reply to my question, I went and started writing down the ID's from the search...ended up with 17 verified and working talkgroups...Checked the database to see where they were and they are all in the area that I wanted so I guess dumb worked in this case...am actually getting one talkgroup 100 miles away with stock antenna (verified as I am familiar with the streets that were being referred to in that town)...Will now take the time to set it up properly in freescan...still don't know how the talkgroups were generated but they are there...thank you for your time...
It sounds like you were in "ID Search" mode, which lets the scanner receive any active talkgroup on the system that is (a) not locked out and/or (b) not in a group that is locked out.

Once you get the system set up the way you want it, with only the talkgroups of interest programmed (with text tags for your convenience), you may want to switch it to "ID Scan". That will cause the scanner to receive only those talkgroups that are programmed in the system, and that are not locked out. You can toggle the scanner between ID Search & ID Scan mode by doing the following:
While scanning the system you want to change, activate the Function key by pressing on the large scroll knob (you'll see an "F" in the upper left corner of the display), then press the Scan/Search key. You can tell which mode the scanner is in because you'll see either "ID Scan" or "ID Search" scrolling across the screen while it's scanning a given trunked system.

Greatescape

Premium Subscriber
Correct...id search...now that i see how it works i can go to freescan and set it up correctly...thanks everyone for the help

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
If you get a talk group from 100 miles away there is probably a unit on that TG in your area affiliating with your local tower. This allows a unit to receive their local traffic when out of their area and scanner listeners receive that traffic as well.

Greatescape

Premium Subscriber
That's what I thought also...has to be that logical explanation! Thanks for the confirmation

Status
Not open for further replies.