talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
new to scanning.i am picking up regular frequencies but can not pick up any talk groups at all.everything seems to be set up right on the screen,i have been set up for a week now and not one transmission has come from my talkgroups pppppppppppppppplease HELP.any help would be greatly appreciated,

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
new to scanning.i am picking up regular frequencies but can not pick up any talk groups at all.everything seems to be set up right on the screen,i have been set up for a week now and not one transmission has come from my talkgroups pppppppppppppppplease HELP.any help would be greatly appreciated,

We can't help you if you don't tell us WHAT radio your trying to program? ;)

n9zas

SCPD

QRT
not getting any transmissions

i am from kings county in nova scotia.i have a BCT8 scanner and can not receive any talk groups i have programed in .

ScannerWayne

Ok....

I took a look at what's in the database and am assuming that what you have loaded is the Aliant Trunked Mobile Radio System.

Now I know nothing about the BCT8 except what little I've just read, but it looks like you are going to have to enter each "Site" of the system (Aliant Trunked Mobile Radio System) seperately.

To start off you need to pick the site closest to you and see if you can receive the control channel (which is in red). If so then enter all the frequincies into the System you've created for that site then set the scanner to ID SEARCH and see what pops up.

Not sure if the BCT8 supports this but another thing you can do is press hold while the scanner is searching for ID's and you should hear the control channel. Turn the volume down and watch the display for a while and you should see talkgroups appear on it.

If all this doesn't work then you may want to see if you can get some help from somene closer to you. Try this forum - Atlantic and Maritime - The RadioReference.com Forums

Now, Just in case you're scratching your head at the first two paragraphs let me try to explain.
There are 72 "SITES" listed in the database for your county. Look through them and find the SITE that is closest to you. In that line will be a number of freqs that you will program into the SYSTEM on your scanner. I'm assuming that you know how to program a TRUNKED radio SYSTEM into your scanner. This will not be a CONVENTIONAL system.

If you have programmed the scanner correctly then you should be able to receive something.

Let us know what happens...

Wayne...

SCPD

QRT
not getting any transmissions

i have programmed all the frequencies from the sites nearest my location.the result is still the same.i am getting no transmissions at all from any talkgroupsi am about to take this system and throw it out in my garage.any more advice would be appreciated.thanks.

ScannerWayne

Just as a quick check, have you tried programming the freqs into a conventional system on your scanner and see if there are any transmissions taking place?

Also, have you confirmed the presence of a control channel?

Wayne...

SCPD

QRT
talk groups

Put all local frequentcies into scanner and still nothihg from talk groups.I bought my scanner new from a fellow in new glasgow and he is a pro. Scanner worked great until I moved to this location Kentville. Don't know anyone here to do a comparison with. What a waste of money if this doesn't work .Can you help?

captclint

Mentor
Put all local frequentcies into scanner and still nothihg from talk groups.
Did you understand the previous request to make a new conventional system with one group. Into the group, put all the frequencies that are in the trunk system on the site closest to you.. If you don't receive anything that way, you are either too far from the system, or in a poor location. try the highest point you can easily get to and see if any of them come in as conventional...forget the concept of talk groups for this exercise. You are only interesting in getting traffic on one or more of the frequencies. Pay particular attention to the frequency that is supposed to be the control channel. You should get noise on that one.

BTW, you still have not answer the question as to which Trunking system you are trying to get. Please advise.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
i am on the aliant trunked radie mobile system.I am getting some transmissions from the conventional frequencies but still nothing from the talkgroups.You mentioned control frequencie,i am not sure what that is

aps_ak

Premium Subscriber
Some of the talkgroups on that system appear to be digital. BCT8 is an analog scanner, and will not be able to monitor these.

DickH

... You mentioned control frequencie,i am not sure what that is

Then you must not understand trunking. Here is a simple explanation.

Motorola Trunking:
The object of trunking is to allow many users to share a relatively few frequencies.
A trunking system is controlled by a computer. Information (data) is exchanged between the system radios and the computer on a control channel, sometimes called a data channel. It sounds like a strong buzz.
A large system can have up to 28 freqs., 4 of which may be used as control channels. The control channel may be changed once a day or as often as the programmer decides. Some scanners need only the control channels to track an entire system. Just put in the 4 Control Channels.

Each group of users (Fire, Police, etc.) is assigned TALK GROUPS. In a Motorola Type II system, the most common type, TGs are usually in 32 number steps starting with 16 and going up to 65536; 16, 48, 80 --- 4656, 4688, 4720 --- 28944, 28976, etc. System radios can have more than 100 TGs programmed into them.

After all the freqs. have been entered and it is "trunking", the Banks become SCAN LISTS where you enter the Talk Groups you want to hear.
Use the Talk Group numbers in the DEC column, not in the HEX column.

When a user pushes the talk button on his radio, data is sent to the computer. The computer chooses an unused freq. and sends that data to all the radios using the TG of the originating unit. This all happens in a fraction of a second and it happens EVERY TIME a radio is used.

EXAMPLE:
Fire Dispatch calling Engine 4 (TG 4528 on 856.7125)
Engine 4 answering Dispatch (TG 4528 on 852.2625)
Respond to 73 Elm Street (TG 4528 on 855.9625)
Engine 4 responding (TG 4528 on 851.6375)

If you have entered TG 4528 into your scanner, it will decode the control channel data and change your scanner freqs. to follow the conversation on TG 4528.

This should get you started, but you should read the manual carefully. You may need to read it several times.

n5ims

i am on the aliant trunked radie mobile system.I am getting some transmissions from the conventional frequencies but still nothing from the talkgroups.You mentioned control frequencie,i am not sure what that is

Please help us help you. In detail, please describe how you have your scanner programmed. Also give specific examples of the "conventional frequencies" and the "talkgroups" you have programmed (including how they are programmed into the scanner. There may simply be a single missed setting or it may be you turned left when you should've turned right along the road. We're glad to help out, but need to know what you have programmed to know where you may have gone astray in your programming.

ScannerWayne

Bibman,

If you take all the freqs, place them into a conventional system, and then scan that system, it should lock up on one, possibly a second frequency making a lot of racket. That will be the control channel.

If you are not receiving a control channel then you will not receive ANY talkgroup on the trunk system.

We know that you are frustrated, but you have to realize, the radio systems in use today are nothing like they were 20-30 years ago: And neither are the scanners. Since none of us are nearby to you, we can only make educated guesses as to what the problem might be. You have to make en effort to get us the information we are asking for so that we can help you.

Wayne...

Status
Not open for further replies.