TalkGroups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kibler

Feed Provider
I noticed the ProScan logged in a Talk Group #10401 (6 Hits) on the 700MHz freq. but I did not here any of the transmission! Looked at AWIN System and this number RANGE does not exist! Started looking in neighboring states and found in the MIssissippi system: "10401 28a1 D R1 SE CMN Region 1 Special Event Common Interop Z2 Interop - Zone 2 Interoperability"
Do you recon this was just a visiting Radio in my area and was just passing through?? Thanks

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
You most likely picked up tropospheric ducting from an MSWIN site, or you were close enough to it in your travels to find it. MSWIN does cover into areas of LA, AR, TN, AL. The coverage is not very far usually. Think of it as "skip" for the higher bandwidths. MSWIN Zone 2 is the Central MS area, Zone 1 is the Southern portion of the state, and Zone 3 the Northern tier.

kibler

Feed Provider
Thanks for the reply milf...this scanned in on my base unit in Crawford Co, Ark! Guess it would kinda be like skip! Thanks much for information
I forgot! I have one question! Are Talk Group numbers unique across the US or like the number above, is it used in different states? Thanks

Last edited:

teufler

talk groups are repeater state to state and system to system. Got a good hit across Arkansas. Was this on the tv antenna pointed east?

kibler

Feed Provider
talk groups are repeater state to state and system to system. Got a good hit across Arkansas. Was this on the tv antenna pointed east?
Hello my friend.....Yes I still got this radio hooked to my TV antenna and doing very well here? One of these days I will get one of those that are mounted vertically and give that a go! I can't find anybody brave enough to climb my steep roof yet! Have a good one! Ray

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply milf...this scanned in on my base unit in Crawford Co, Ark! Guess it would kinda be like skip! Thanks much for information
I forgot! I have one question! Are Talk Group numbers unique across the US or like the number above, is it used in different states? Thanks

The numbering is repeated yes, but each TGID is uniquely associated with specific usage for the TRS it is assigned to. The ONLY system this does not apply to, for a little longer anyway, is the Entergy Smartzone system. TGID numbering is repeated in each zone, but with different precise usage. In the older Entergy radios, they don't have any TG Descriptions, just numbers, this allows them to operate on any zone in the system for interop etc. The new upgrade to P25 is going to change this completely. Each TGID will have an unique use for specific areas/uses.

teufler

I keep telling everyone that tv antennas make a good scanner antenna, no matter what the polorization. Vertical is better but horizontal beats an inside scanner antenna.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
And in an P25 LSM simulcast, heck anytime you just want to lock onto one tower, horizontal is what is required. The Yagi design is basically an TV antenna aerial with straight elements instead of tilted.

Status
Not open for further replies.