Talking Over The Internet Isn't REAL Ham Radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4EET

Chaplain
No argument here either.

But... HamSphere 4.0 is the next best thing! So very realistic with static crashes and fades you practically forget you are not on the HF bands. And since a ham license is not required, many non-hams end up getting their ham license after seeing how much fun they can have talking to other hams around the world! Sooooooo... If you are reading this and are not currently a ham, give the HamSphere FREE 30-day trial no credit card required subscription a trial! For those hams that may give it a try, there are many, many hams on there. I met one of the top CW contest ops from Moscow on HamSphere and he was competing in CW contests on HamSphere too! I guarantee that you will urge your non-ham friends to give it a try to see what they can do with a ham license; awards and all... Trust me on this.

Like I said though, no argument here!

73, Dave K4EET

Build your own virtual Ham Radio - HamSphere®

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Gosh! You mean my XPR5550, XPR7550, CS800D, 2x CS800, HD1, GD77, and MD2017 aren't real radios??? Dang it all, now I feel cheated! :eek:

Dave, thanks for the heads up re: HamSphere! Although with Cycle 25 opening up 160m, 80m, 20m, 15m and 10m there's plenty of "real" over-the-air activity these days. :cool:

mitbr

Just to add to this discussion. I believe ham radio is more than just using pure rf it is a means to share with other Hams their common interests in radio. The key word is other Hams.In my opinion Hamsphere is stretching it just my opinion though.
Tim :cool:

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm over 100000 hams worldwide might have a different opinion ,thats the number of registered DMR ids there are! Ham radio is what you make of it everybody has different aspects of ham radio they enjoy so be it!
Tim :cool:

100,000 hams think DMR is internet? What's this got to do with DMR? DMR is RF. Same as FM, AM, SSB, CW, P25, NXDN, and spark gap.

prcguy

If you talk on your local repeater and that is connected to another repeater via the internet to another repeater far away, its still amateur radio. Hams have been linking repeaters together via 440, 900, 1.2GHz, etc for years and replacing that part with the Internet is no different.

Two licensed hams talking to each other via their computers and no radio is not amateur radio.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
100,000 hams think DMR is internet? What's this got to do with DMR? DMR is RF. Same as FM, AM, SSB, CW, P25, NXDN, and spark gap.
No, 100k hams think DMR is radio; it's all of the TalkGroups that are interconnected via the internet that the OP is saying isn't real ham radio.

When I use a hot spot, my mobile or HT is a "real ham radio", so is the hot spot, likewise the cellular modem that connects me to the internet is real radio... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.