Tallahassee, FL - Radio System Budget Item a Natural for Public-Safety-Conscious Gov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
P25

P25 is OK for Florida as long as we can listen in. Those Republicans in Florida need to remember who paid for their new law enforcement play toy. Florida has long had a bad attitude toward scanners.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
So "interoperability" has gone beyond being a buzzword and is now policy. But yet, both the major players in the P25 radio industry will cheerfully peddle proprietary features as part of their P25 solutions, making it that much more complicated to achieve true interoperability.

The feds should put their foot down and tell all involved agencies "You get no grant money from us if you implement any proprietary features in your P25 systems.".

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
the problem with any standard that is dictated solely by vendors, and a corporate government, is that the "standard" can change at the whims of those vendors.

P25 is a great example of how to get it wrong. Untold billions spent to solve a "problem" that needs a "solution". What we have now are more walled garden propritary voice-only systems that have no end to constant forklift upgrades, broken promises by vendors, and taxpayers who are always lubing up for the next tax increase.

All this time, the really important line items on agendas like increasing the number of police officers and firefighters to answer calls on these fancy new radios get tabled until next year's budget, no doubt after a SPLOST is passed, or a millage rate goes up.

But hey, that's life in America! BOHICA!

"Right now, Gibson explained, users complain that SLERS is pocked with coverage gaps and lacks features.../... and we have nothing to complain about..."

Really dude? What the heck is wrong with this Gibson guy? If users have complaints, then how can he say they have nothing to complain about? He is probably saying that because he doesn't use SLERS LOL

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
If you are good at searching the FCC database, you can get the exact coordinates and other relevant data on every site transmitter in the whole SLERS system, and use that data with coverage mapping software to make a very good estimate as to the system coverage.

Make no mistake, there ARE substantial coverage holes in it. SLERS is primarily designed aroung giving mobile radio coverage to FHP troopers. And even the troopers will tell you that coverage is spotty in many areas.

The state should never have gotten away from Motorola.

If you are good at searching the FCC database, you can get the exact coordinates and other relevant data on every site transmitter in the whole SLERS system, and use that data with coverage mapping software to make a very good estimate as to the system coverage.

Make no mistake, there ARE substantial coverage holes in it. SLERS is primarily designed aroung giving mobile radio coverage to FHP troopers. And even the troopers will tell you that coverage is spotty in many areas.

The state should never have gotten away from Motorola.

True DAT!!! (Like) LOL

mk262

Premium Subscriber
I would expect them to completely encrypt the SLERS P25 system. I've encountered one in-the-clear tg on our local SLERS system in a long time of monitoring it and it was for radio techs.

Last edited:

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
To this day I am utterly stupefied that Florida elected to, at the time, sign the largest radio contract in HISTORY with the company that, at the time, was Comm-Net, AFTER Ericsson had picked up their toys and left the game. The company at the time was TINY, with Ericsson being out of the picture. If I recall correctly, Comm-Net had something like sixty employees at the time. (?) WHY would a responsible state government choose to entrust 2 BILLION dollars to a company that was left holding the bag after its big name partner just packed up and left?

One thing that any good, super-rich investor will tell you is to watch out for companies that are bought and sold frequently.

To follow the history of the GE legacy, here is the list of names that this radio family has gone through, in order:

General Electric (GE)
Ericsson/GE
Ericsson
Comm-Net/Ericsson
Comm-Net
Tyco/ M/A-Com
Tyco (they dropped the M/A-Com name late in the game)
and now, HARRIS.

Eight names, six changes of ownership in about 20 years.

But to be fair about it, now that Harris owns it, that's a good thing for the company as Harris does have
the resources and expertise needed to compete strongly against Motorola.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
What I wish was the state went with Kenwood, go back to VHF, Trunk it using Type C Trunking, and guess what? No problems. Should have stayed with VHF even if they trunked it with Motorola or Harris.

Guess that was a wet dream I just had.... State of Florida, Kenwood, NXDN Trunking on VHF? pinch me please, or feed me more morphine.

Status
Not open for further replies.