Tallahassee-Leon Joint dipatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
People still can listen in if they have a Digital Scanner. Now if they go to OpenSky or ProVoice than no scanner will pick them up. The PD may go to Encrypted.

dgoodson

Feed Provider
There are some real local politics at play... upgrading to digital has nothing to do with combining dispatch ops. There are some long standing turf battles in place here - the agencies are being forced into this arrangement because of the higher up elected officials, who IMHO are doing the right and logical thing. I think the agencies are leveraging the opportunity to upgrade themselves as payback.

n4dog

If they upgrade to digital they are going to have to get a BUNCH of new radios. I believe EMS is the agency that has radios that can do digital. They all have XTS 5000. All of Vol. FF radios are MTS 2000.

gatorhater

The big question for me is this: How long until Leon County and Tallahassee go digital and need more millions of dollars??

n4dog

EMS is ready for the upgrade to APCO 25 if it would happen. They had to buy the XTS radios when they started the EMS service, because they nolonger make the MTS 2000. I keep hoping they will go to digital. It looks like Sheriff Campbell wants to go to MA/COM system for some darn reason.

n4dog

yea I read that after I posted this. It is sad. He is going down the wrong path. This county/city can't afford the MA/COM system. Heck tallahassee PD just finally got all of there officers mobile radios for there cars just a few months back.

ctrabs74

n4dog said:
This is so sad. They think the only way they can fund this is by raising property taxes. Our taxes here are already through the roof. And the state legislator is trying to lower property taxes now.

Sorry for going o/t here, but how exactly is the state going to attempt to lower county/muni property taxes? They're trying the same thing in Pennsylvania., but it's really more a shifting of taxing mechanisms. I wonder if the Florida legislature is trying the same tricks, but hey, that politics for you...

That said (in getting back on topic), does Florida have some sort of tax on landline/cell phone lines that can be specifically dedicated for 9-1-1 operations as they do (at least in theory) in Pa.? If so, couldn't they just use that funding stream to defray some of the costs?

Furthermore, weren't Tallahasee City and Leon County officials touting this as a cost-savings measure that would reduce costs? I would think that if they're consolidating dispatch operatings into a single PSAP, then new taxes wouldn't be neccesary.

n4dog

You know since you mentioned it. I am charged a 911 fee on my cell phone bill. I am not sure how the state legislature plans on reducing the property taxes. That was a big push by the new Gov. Charlie Crist. He is talking about raising Homestead Exp to 50,000.
Any back on topic. They pushed this a cost savings but it does not look like it will be.

n4dog

Leon County and Tallahassee are talking about raising our property taxes to pay for the joint dispatch center. They have said that they need at 30 million to build this and probable more arou 60 to 90 million. This is just crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.