Tango tango?? The new age if police talk no more radios???

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanner916

I just found this on Facebook and watched this video. This is going to kill the scanner Community.. can that s happen soon? Please say no. Someone ever hear of this yet

ScanningHertz

IP based radio is already here, you just don't know it. Motorola Wave 5000 is another for example. In many cases, as long as there is a traditional radio user, you'll hear the radio traffic. Some of it just may originate from an IP based radio, versus traditional conventional or trunked radio system. Now if all radios were IP based, you wouldn't hear it.

Pete_uk

Yeah, in the United Kindom there is a project to replace the (Motorola owned) Airwave system which the emergency services use which uses TETRA technology with a 4G system incorporating the press to talk functionality over a commercial network.

The roll out should have started in 2017 with Airwave shut down in 2019. It's now due to start roll out in 2022-ish with an extra 4bn Pounds Stirling added to the budget.

Assuming we get it working reliably I would expect many other countries to look at this and hopefully learn from our costly mistakes. I would say however, that such a system using ideally multiple networks or even (at great cost) a dedicated network would seem to be the future. Because of the way things are done in the USA, I would not expect your scanners to become door stops for at least another decade or so, unless the traditional systems start using encryption!

(The Airwave system is 100% encrypted which can be done easily because of the smaller geographic area)

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Love how that last guy talked about grabbing a radio and it doesnt connect and no cell service but he thinks his phones will work. ahhaha Dude, if your cell phone wont work your cell phone radio wont work.
Not sure about you guys, but having a background in LMR it was slightly painful to watch these guys talk about radios and how they cant communicate because their frequency was not in our radio and this and that. Just terrible.
with proper planning and mutual aid agreements thats not an issue. Just terrible these guys are in an authoritative position and making decisions about equipment they have no clue about. Thanks for posting it. This type of service has been around for a while.
But perhaps someone can jump in here. How is the Tango Tango guy talking about the LTE network not connecting to the internet?
Time stamp 2:19 into the video. That to me is a blatant lie. This is a data based device. How can their equipment (phone) connect to ATT LTE and NOT make it back to their LMR switch with out going through the internet.

wowologist

Certifiable
Ya Zello has been around for ages now. As well as the Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu and ChiCom hand-held/mobile versions (and please refrain from the o well thats just not true this ( insert commercially branded big name super super high cost version is nothing like Zello, they are ALL RoIP/VoIP PTT hybrid ))...So besides maybe an attempt at a marketing plug on a community that has known about "that technology" for years, I don't see what else you expected your post to achieve.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
So besides maybe an attempt at a marketing plug on a community that has known about "that technology" for years, I don't see what else you expected your post to achieve.
They've been a member for 4 years, but only have 3 posts, 2 of those in this thread. Perhaps they missed those "years" by not being that active. Everybody was new once.

Attachments

• scanner916.PNG
    scanner916.PNG
    5.5 KB · Views: 7

dirtrat

IP based radio is already here, you just don't know it. Motorola Wave 5000 is another for example. In many cases, as long as there is a traditional radio user, you'll hear the radio traffic. Some of it just may originate from an IP based radio, versus traditional conventional or trunked radio system. Now if all radios were IP based, you wouldn't hear it.

Even current Motorola P25 Trunked systems are IP based. Each radio is assigned an dynamic IP address in the system.

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
I'm pretty confident there's a city police department on the SRRCS that has tested/used Motorola WAVE (or similar) with their detectives, WELL outside of the coverage area of SRRCS (100+ miles).

Status
Not open for further replies.