Tanker Explosion (Elizabeth,NJ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
(as per Star Ledger)

1:45AM Traffic accident, Route 1&9 North at the Bayway Circle.
Tractor-Trailer Tanker with 8,500 gallons of fuel heading north, car heading into circle towards S. Elmora Ave.
Collision resulted in immediate explosion and fire with car under trailer. Unidentified driver of car died. Driver of tanker not injured.
Fire/heat melted a traffic light and the siding of a home 200 feet away. 12 homes evacuated.
Car slammed into tanker at intersection, fire so intense the cars license plate melted, need to ID the car from VIN#.
Crane will lift trailer off car after crews off-load fuel from tanker.

Firefighting crews from Elizabeth, Linden, Springfield, Milburn and Newark fought the blaze and used foam that extended for about 1/2 mile north and south of scene. Also I heard on scanner that Union County HazMat was there doing their thing in watching the air, which I heard they had some high levels of something and keeping the fuel and foam out of the sewer system. They were just as busy.
(newspapers and tv usually forget to mention the HazMat crews)

12:07pm: I heard Deputy-2 confirm a Signal-402(DOA) & removed from the car.
1:19pm: I heard an engine company call in that cars at Maple & Rt 1&9 are driving through deep foam. (thats 5 block north of accident)

Eliz-1.jpg

Eliz-2.jpg

Eliz-3.jpg

Eliz-4.jpg

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Ruled a result of an illegal drag race. They're looking for the driver of the car the DOA was racing. Per WABC-7TV.

And on a twisted note...isn't ironic that someone doing something stupid died by hitting a loaded tanker owned by Omega? After all...in Greek...Alpha was the beginning, but Omega was the end. And this moron definitely ran straight into his end.

Last edited:

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Matt for the update, I haven't scene the news this afternoon yet.
Sounds right because there is rarley an accident there even at that hour.

Essexscan, you probably right, I don't usually listen to Newark PD but heard all weekend the FD calling in saying they were running into drag races in numberus places including the 'ol ever famous Doremus ave.
ps no I never drag raced there myself :roll: LOL
Only thing is the direction the paper says he was going is toward Newark.
Oh maybe drag racing in Staten Island, we, i mean they used to do that there too.

OCO yes I saw that too in the pictures, I have to look back at the written article, but I thought the D-Chief said it, after all tankers are seperated into compartments, and the pictures don't show the middle. It could have exploded but left the front and tail. But i thought that too.

OCO

I don't know, that bottom picture is between the trailer wheels and the tractor....I'm wondering if the explosion and fire was limited to the car (street racing? maybe a nitrous bottle vented, that would help accelerate any fire in the car.). I usually expect nothing but a smoking hulk from any tanker fire...Looks like the FD was "Johnny on the spot".. Kudos to 'em..

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Looks like they hit one of the underbelly pipes....which would sheer off the valve...now theres cages around them on the newer trailers....for this reason

Essexscan

Thanks Matt for the update, I haven't scene the news this afternoon yet.
Sounds right because there is rarley an accident there even at that hour.

Essexscan, you probably right, I don't usually listen to Newark PD but heard all weekend the FD calling in saying they were running into drag races in numberus places including the 'ol ever famous Doremus ave.
ps no I never drag raced there myself :roll: LOL
Only thing is the direction the paper says he was going is toward Newark.
Oh maybe drag racing in Staten Island, we, i mean they used to do that there too.

I am unaware of any such activities or operation nor am i disposed to discuss any operations of street racing if in fact any occured.

my Grand National,Dakota R/T,70 Chevelle would never tell on me, the others might

ipfd320

Banned
as per channel 7 eyewitness news at 4.00 pm this evening they had footage of the tanker up in flames....it was well off the whole right side and looked like the upper fill cap area also.....archive the new feed----I also think cbs news had some footage also

Essexscan

nj.com has a picture of the fire and is saying it was a 2-door Mitsubishi registered out of Newark. The tanker driver said he saw two cars racing and blowiing lights

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
nj.com has a picture of the fire and is saying it was a 2-door Mitsubishi registered out of Newark. The tanker driver said he saw two cars racing and blowiing lights

It's not the first time I've heard of drag races over there, it's just that usually their skills are slightly...well...more adequate. EPD usually also has better things to do and more important things to worry about than chase a bunch of Nos fueled idiots down the highway.

This, however, will draw them some attention for a while.

Essexscan said:
I am unaware of any such activities or operation nor am i disposed to discuss any operations of street racing if in fact any occured. my Grand National,Dakota R/T,70 Chevelle would never tell on me, the others might.

btw Essexscan, your halo is hanging around your neck. ;-)P (joke)

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
Yes i saw the evening news and they had shots of total flames, high flames, I think just one or two of the four sections of the tank blew or the side the pics were taken were the cool side, but yes the video from TV showed it engulfed. Yea highpockets, the circle has changed, I hardly ever hear of an accident there anymore.

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
As per nj.com the tanker driver said the car was racing another car and saw him blow through 2 traffic lights before hitting him. Police can not confirm this as of yet, but said they saw the car on traffic cameras from Woodbridge, Rahway and Linden showing the car doing at least 75mph in a 35mph. I also found this new pic on nj.com. of the fireball.

tankerfire.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.