Taos County - City - Fire Tones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clavo2

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have a list of a Taos County / City area fire tone out 2-tones? I always miss decoding many of them, and even then I'm sure I'm missing some like 'all calls', etc...

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have a list of a Taos County / City area fire tone out 2-tones? I always miss decoding many of them, and even then I'm sure I'm missing some like 'all calls', etc...

If I understand the tone-out function, I believe that programming 2-tone codes into your scanner will eliminate any signals that aren't preceded by that tone. Leaving out the tones should ensure you hear everything on that frequency . . . kind of like the squelch tones on other signals.

I could be wrong . . .

RBMTS

Here is an idea for you. If you have a scanner that will record audio from a channel, lock it onto the frequency for the fire dispatch. This is especially helpful if they have regular tone-out tests for the alerting receivers. Get that test dispatch recorded or let the scanner sit for a while to capture calls as they happen. Pull the audio file(s) out of your scanner and then scrub it through a program like Audicity. This is a free audio management program. You can then perform a "plot spectrum" of the tone portions of the audio file and get close enough to the real tones to determine what they are. There are also some "pay for" programs that will watch for and capture / save the tones and tone frequencies.

clavo2

Premium Subscriber
Decoding the 2 tones really isn't a problem. There are tons of programs like Radio ID for android, audacity, PC decoders, etc... I just don't want to sift through tons of traffic just to find tones and decipher the the tones if there is a list out there. I have no easy way to automate the process. Thanks.

bc780l

Premium Subscriber
I've used comtekk's multi-decoder for years. The logs are clean and explicit matching the tones. Good product worth the money if you need the info. Works fine on Win10, too.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
Some departments do daily (often 7-8pm) or weekly 'pager tests'. That's a good time to catch the tones.

Status
Not open for further replies.