Tapatalk support has been disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tank67

I for one use Tapatalk for this forum daily well not today because I can't connect. Tapatalk is much easier for me but if you get rid of it I will have to look for a alternative as I don't care for the mobile site. Just my opinion no more no less.

It hasn’t been working for me since July 26th and I was wondering why... I agree, it’s much easier for me as well and I like it better than the mobile site.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
Yea it also makes me come here way less I do t only use Tapatalk for this forum but many others and if I can’t switch to radio reference from there I no longer visit because I’m not going to jump into the browser to come here

noaim

Premium Subscriber
Well I pretty much won’t be here anymore then.. as there is no way I’m hopping into the browser for just this one forum.. I have 10+ forums I visit through tapatalk

daddyjohn

I for one use Tapatalk for this forum daily well not today because I can't connect. Tapatalk is much easier for me but if you get rid of it I will have to look for a alternative as I don't care for the mobile site. Just my opinion no more no less.
mule1075, have you had any luck finding an alternative, tapatalk always worked out good for me and that is how I followed numerous forums.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
Also why eliminate it for people who want it Facebook pushed the mobile site forever and eventually realize apps work better on mobile devices

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Hope they get Tapatalk working soon

Tapatalk’s use on these forums has been purposely disabled. Check these links:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
mule1075, have you had any luck finding an alternative, tapatalk always worked out good for me and that is how I followed numerous forums.

Never used tapatalk nor these software's listed...

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Also why eliminate it for people who want it Facebook pushed the mobile site forever and eventually realize apps work better on mobile devices

Not always. I have disabled the FB app, because it is so annoying, it borders on useless. The messenger app is even worse, especially since I have to fight with FB every time I want to check messages on the mobile web.

People should have the option to use whichever works better for them.

From the sysadmin perspective, it sounds like Tapatalk is burdensome to the administrator.

RBFD415

So I read all of the above and the take away is we're done with Taptalk and my questions is answered on that end. AS far as mobile use with an Android its just mobile version of the site now {?}.

Running the possibility of irritating the powers that be, but I have to wonder why we couldn't have shared the Taptalk info more aggressively? I've spent time trying to troubleshoot Taptalk to now only find out its not being used. I visited the regular RR site in conventional mode and was greeted with a banner proclaiming that all negative comments on encryption will be immediately deleted. Since the policy on encryption comments is hardly new (and was standing policy), I'm left to wonder why we couldn't have been more user friendly and been notified about the Taptalk situation in a similar fashion and spared the dramatic over encryption?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Running the possibility of irritating the powers that be, but I have to wonder why we couldn't have shared the Taptalk info more aggressively? I've spent time trying to troubleshoot Taptalk to now only find out its not being used. I visited the regular RR site in conventional mode and was greeted with a banner proclaiming that all negative comments on encryption will be immediately deleted. Since the policy on encryption comments is hardly new (and was standing policy), I'm left to wonder why we couldn't have been more user friendly and been notified about the Taptalk situation in a similar fashion and spared the dramatic over encryption?

The encryption announcement is presented when you are not logged into the forums. It's been there for years. The old vbulletin software hid it better but Xenforo kind of puts it in your face if you're not logged in.

As for Tapatalk, I'm not sure how it could have been conveyed better? A recent update broke it and Lindsay decided to disable it. I have a feeling that he believed people who used Tapatalk would visit the forum through a browser and discover the reason.

I can certainly put up an announcement about it but I'm not sure what the point would be since it's been gone for two weeks.

radio3353

The encryption announcement is presented when you are not logged into the forums. It's been there for years. The old vbulletin software hid it better but Xenforo kind of puts it in your face if you're not logged in.

I don't understand. I am logged in, yet I see the encryption announcement on the top of every forum page.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I clicked the X on the upper right corner of the box with the announcement text, and it's gone.

Correct.... and if for any reason you want to re-visit those messages, go to "Your Account" ---> "Preferences"...

and check the box that says "Restore dismissed notices".

krokus

Premium Subscriber
You may not like the Facebook app but millions and millions do.. that’s my point

Popularity does not equate to being best. (Such as MS not making the best software, but certainly the most popular.)

While I enjoyed the convenience of Tapatalk, obviously it was a burden. (Tapatalk used to be much better. It became more burdensome to the users, as it was "improved" which I presume happened to the sysadmin side of things, too.)

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
So with the demise of Tapatalk support, is there any plan, or even interest by site admins to develop an app that might include forum access and database access? It would be amazing to have the ability to search database and FCC info with a couple taps vs. trying to do it through the mobile site. Imagine searching for FCC licenses within x miles of my current location without having to cut and paste lat / long, or simply summiting a license entity query from an app data entry field vs going through all the mobile browser pages. Think of the data savings from the mobile user end. The possibilities are amazing! This alone would increase the utility of the site and thus the value of an RR.com subscription by multiple times.

Status
Not open for further replies.