Tape recorder and scanner questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting a bc346xtc. If purchased, it would be my first Uniden scanner. But back to the main point of this thread, I'm curious if I can hook up a tape recorder to this scanner. I have seen a lot of tape recorders in the big box stores that store the recordings on a sd card. That's my first question, my second question is if this is possible how do I hook it up to my scanner? Is the a cord included or is it something separate I have to buy.

Michael

doublescan

recording

I suppose you could just use the headphone/external speaker jack to access the audio. I just use a simple little digital voice recorder to save the cool stuff, just place it by the scanner, put it on "voice activation" and it records for hours. Sony ICD-PX312 is one I like, will hold a huge storage card and has an input jack for direct recording. The other one I have is a cheaper one, RCA VR5220, less storage but also works great on VOX mode. Word of advice on the RCA-it uses proprietary file format by default, unless you change settings on it to store files as WAV format.
You'll get less storage hours that way but supposedly better quality audio.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The Uniden BCT15X, a base/mobile unit, has a Record Out Jack. This allows recording and listening from the internal speaker at the same time. You can also program which channels go to the recorder and which ones don't. It also has a stable, permanent audio level. I use this scanner and record out for my live audio feed. There are also many ways to record right to a computer.

SCPD

QRT
The Uniden BCT15X, a base/mobile unit, has a Record Out Jack. This allows recording and listening from the internal speaker at the same time. You can also program which channels go to the recorder and which ones don't. It also has a stable, permanent audio level. I use this scanner and record out for my live audio feed. There are also many ways to record right to a computer.

Wow that is very interesting

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Wow that is very interesting
To follow up on W8RMH's post, I use a free software program called Audacity to record scanner traffic for later playback. It has a voice-activated feature which is ideal for scanner recording. Just connect your scanner's record-out jack to the line-in jack on a computer and set up Audacity. Works great!

SCPD

QRT
I've had Audacity for years but wow now could I use aux cable or something else? And I have a laptop so would i have to plug it in thru the mic jack or headphone jack?

oracavon

It's not free, but ProScan is great software for both programming your scanner and for recording activity onto your PC. Rather than just recording the sound, it will also record the channel (talkgroup) and other display information along with the audio (for the radios that it can program). And it has a VOX (voice-activated) feature as well.

Like I say, it's not free, but it gives you programming capability and tagged recording capability all in one package. The author of the software monitors RR threads and is very active in supporting the program.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with ProScan, other than as a user. But if someone is looking for both programming and tagged recording capability, it's a nice all-in-one solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.