Tapped scanner > FMP CC

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
I read that one can use a tapped scanner for the control channel monitoring in FMP-CC.bat. What are the proper settings? I only can get FMP-CC.bat to see the RTL-SDR dongle.

I want to use my scanner to monitor the control channel then use the dongle to follow/decode the voice channels.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
I read that one can use a tapped scanner for the control channel monitoring in FMP-CC.bat. What are the proper settings? I only can get FMP-CC.bat to see the RTL-SDR dongle.

I want to use my scanner to monitor the control channel then use the dongle to follow/decode the voice channels.
I think you have run DSD alone with the tapped scanner and set it up so the voice channel uses FMP for it source of audio. You shouldn't have to run FMP as the scanner is tuning to the control channel and not the dongle. As I understand it FMP is only for use with SDR. The stand alone DSD program should be what you need to monitor the the CC. Then you have to write a .bat file to tell the instance of FMP running the dongle where to get the data for the voice channels. You will have to look at the DSD display and see what address it is sending the voice channel data to then have the FMP program look for that data at that address and decode it using FMP and a dongle. It really is easier just using two dongles they are cheap and plentiful. It's how I run DSD, and as to why I am a little fuzzy on how to run both a disc tap and a dongle but I'm sure it can be done. Read through the read me files that come with DSD I am sure it is mentioned in there somewhere.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
Ok. Got it. I bought 1 SDR dongle and have a tapped scanner so I'm trying to make that combo work. In the meantime I may as well get another SDR dongle.

morfis

The FMP application can be regarded as the tuner part of your receiver. If you are manually tuning a radio for the control channel then you don't need the first FMP instance. Your decoding chain would look like this:

Tapped scanner audio > DSD(CC) > FMP(VC) > DSD(VC) >decoded digital audio out

Tapped scanner feeds audio to the first instance of DSD. This copy of DSD is decoding the control information and sends the channel grants to your second radio (in this case FMP tuning your RTL device). The voice channel audio is then fed to your second DSD instance for the digital audio to be decoded and output to your speakers.

slicerwizard

It'll work out fine. It's right in the trunking.txt file:

The control signal source can be any NFM receiver whose flat audio is piped to
DSD+ via a mic or line in input, or an SDR device (RTL SDR dongle, Airspy, etc.)

if you are not using FMP or FMPA to feed the CC copy of DSD+, i.e. you're using
a tapped radio or a program like SDR#, edit the CC.BAT file reflect the
correct waveIn device number

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
The FMP application can be regarded as the tuner part of your receiver. If you are manually tuning a radio for the control channel then you don't need the first FMP instance. Your decoding chain would look like this:

Tapped scanner audio > DSD(CC) > FMP(VC) > DSD(VC) >decoded digital audio out

Tapped scanner feeds audio to the first instance of DSD. This copy of DSD is decoding the control information and sends the channel grants to your second radio (in this case FMP tuning your RTL device). The voice channel audio is then fed to your second DSD instance for the digital audio to be decoded and output to your speakers.

I'm not able to get this to work. I was successful in getting Unitrunker along with DSD+ to receive audio.

So here's where I'm at with this. I run DSD cc.bat and it'll decode the control channel of a P25, Phase 1 system. I think this is where the problem starts. If I put the audio out from the cc.bat to Virtual Cable then how does FMP24-VC.bat hear the audio? The input to to FMP-VC.bat is the RTL dongle.

Then I have the audio out for the FMP-VC.bat set to port 20002 and set that as the input for DSD VC.bat with the output then going to the speakers. And I hear nothing.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering,,,, can digital trunked systems be decoded/heard by using DSD+ and FMP24 only? Or is Unitrunker necessary?

morfis

I'm not able to get this to work. I was successful in getting Unitrunker along with DSD+ to receive audio.

So here's where I'm at with this. I run DSD cc.bat and it'll decode the control channel of a P25, Phase 1 system. I think this is where the problem starts. If I put the audio out from the cc.bat to Virtual Cable then how does FMP24-VC.bat hear the audio? The input to to FMP-VC.bat is the RTL dongle.

Then I have the audio out for the FMP-VC.bat set to port 20002 and set that as the input for DSD VC.bat with the output then going to the speakers. And I hear nothing.

Very little cap+ here but setup here when trying DSD+ out a few months ago:

Audio from the radio to DSD+ (CC) via windows sound device line in
DSD (CC) outputs via TCP to FMP24 (VC)
FMP24 (VC) outputs to DSD+ (CC) via TCP
DSD+ (VC) outputs to speakers via normal windows sound device

DSDPlus.frequencies with entries for slots 1,3 and 5

Worked perfectly.

I then tried it with two nesdr 'dongles' to fee up the line in as it's usually used for something else. Using two 'dongles' was just as easy.

slicerwizard

I was wondering,,,, can digital trunked systems be decoded/heard by using DSD+ and FMP24 only? Or is Unitrunker necessary?
You're mixing FMP and FMP24 in your posts. FMP works with the public version of DSD+ (v1.101) and FMP24 works with the fast lane versions.

1.101 will not trunk track (follow voice calls); you need to use Unitrunker with it.

FL trunk tracks (doesn't need Unitrunker)

Don't know which you're using, so can't answer your other questions.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
You're mixing FMP and FMP24 in your posts. FMP works with the public version of DSD+ (v1.101) and FMP24 works with the fast lane versions.

1.101 will not trunk track (follow voice calls); you need to use Unitrunker with it.

FL trunk tracks (doesn't need Unitrunker)

Don't know which you're using, so can't answer your other questions.

Sorry 'bout that. I'm using the FastLane versions so FMP24 is the one I am using.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
You shouldn't need a 'virtual' audio cable.

Very little cap+ here but setup here when trying DSD+ out a few months ago:

Audio from the radio to DSD+ (CC) via windows sound device line in
DSD (CC) outputs via TCP to FMP24 (VC)
FMP24 (VC) outputs to DSD+ (CC) via TCP
DSD+ (VC) outputs to speakers via normal windows sound device

DSDPlus.frequencies with entries for slots 1,3 and 5

Worked perfectly.

I then tried it with two nesdr 'dongles' to fee up the line in as it's usually used for something else. Using two 'dongles' was just as easy.

So then what output setting should DSD(CC) have? There is no parameter that I find, such as -o20001. I have now set DSD(CC).bat to -i1 (Line in) and no output. I run it and it decodes the control channel.

The FMP24-VC.bat has no parameter for input (such as -i20001). I have output as -o20002. When I run FMP24-VC.bat is says "Using TCP port #20002" below the config entries and at the bottom it says "Loading frequency data..." "Listening on TCP port 20002" "Trunk voice following active" "Idle".
The FMP24 tuning window is blank.

On to DSD(VC).bat,,,, -i20002 -o1 (speakers). Run it. I get:
Assuming FMPA/FMP24 is signal source; auto polarity detect is disabled

Initiating TCP connection to 127.0.0.1:20002...
Connected to 127.0.0.1:20002
audio output device #1 = 'Speakers (Realtek High Definiti'
audio output device #2 = 'VB CABLE (VB-Audio Virtual Cabl'

audio output device #1 (Speakers (Realtek High Definiti) initialized

P25 Phase 1 decoding enabled

Mono audio decoding initiated; press Esc to exit...

So there's my setup. The only part that works at this point is the DSD(CC) decoding the line in audio from the tapped scanner.

slicerwizard

It sounds like FMP24 has connected to a dongle and is waiting for tuning commands from the CC side. What kind of trunking control channel are you monitoring with your scanner? I assume it's P25? Are there Phase I calls on the system?

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like FMP24 has connected to a dongle and is waiting for tuning commands from the CC side. What kind of trunking control channel are you monitoring with your scanner? I assume it's P25? Are there Phase I calls on the system?

I'm trying to listen to Virginia STARS (P25 Phase 1)

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
Any ideas anyone? I've read notes, help files, and the posts on this forum. To no avail. I can only manage to use Unitrunker > DSD+ to decode P25 audio.

Here are my settings for the .bat files. Maybe someone could compare them to their own and see if there is a difference. I just don't know anymore.

Tapped scanner > Line In of sound card.
DSD+ CC.bat: DSDPlus -i1 -rc -Pwav >>CC.log
-i1 is Line In

FMP24-VC.bat: FMP24 -rv -i1 -o20002 -P0.0
-i1 is RTL-SDR dongle

DSD+ VC.bat: DSDPlus -i20002 -o1 -rv -Pwav >>VC.log
-o1 is Speakers

I run the above .bat files in the order as listed (if that makes a difference?)

And, here is the FMP24.cfg file:
2.4 ; sampling rate (1.0, 2.0 or 2.4)
1024 ; spectrum window width
64 ; FFT size (16k, 32k, 64k)
15 ; spectrum update rate in Hz
5000 -6250 7500 12500 15000 25000 ; step size table; units = Hz; negate default
C:\Users\Randy's PC 1\Desktop\DSDplus\DSDplus.exe ; DSD+ path
C:\Users\Randy's PC 1\Desktop\DSDplus\VA.csv ; primary frequency list CSV path\filename
;.\FMP-FreqList2.csv ; auxiliary frequency list CSV path\filename
miles ; search units (miles or kilometers)
1000 ; search distance
38.7553 -77.7338 ; search origin

Or if the above doesn't lend some clues could someone post or email me their .bat files.

Thanks.

I hope I can figure this out with some help of you all.

slicerwizard

C:\Users\Randy's PC 1\Desktop\DSDplus\DSDplus.exe is not a path.

C:\Users\Randy's PC 1\Desktop\DSDplus is a path. Or just a single period (.) for "current folder", as I assume you're running everything from the same folder, would be even better.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
C:\Users\Randy's PC 1\Desktop\DSDplus\DSDplus.exe is not a path.

C:\Users\Randy's PC 1\Desktop\DSDplus is a path. Or just a single period (.) for "current folder", as I assume you're running everything from the same folder, would be even better.

Corrected.

The operation still does as previously described. DSD+CC decodes signal. DSD+VC says NO SIGNAL. Connects to port 20002 and loads radio records. But no voice when CC signals that a voice call is in progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.