Tapping ham radio power line for SDS200

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have a 30A power line coming directly off the AGM battery in my Sorento. It's connected to a Yaesu Ft-8900 radio and fused on both + and -. Would it be permissible to tap into that line to get power to an SDS200 and if so, should I tap into it before or after the in-line filter? According to the manual, the maximum the SDS200 draws is less than 700mA.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Ok to tap in as long as it’s 12 volts. The scanner is only going to draw as much power as needed so, the amperage is not a concern as long as you have. I would utilize any noise filter you already have in line.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. The radio says 13.8 volts but in automotive talk, that's 12 volts. I know it ain't rocket science but the more I thought about it, the more I thought that someone would come up with some type of quirky reaction that would cause the radio to start broadcasting acid rock music over the nearest religious AM station, or something. Acid rock filters for Uniden or Yaesu are hard to come by these days. :)

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Your question (and questions like it) raise concerns from not only from a technical standpoint but also one of safety. When I got my first smart phone I reveled in the ability to research anything regardless of where I happen to be and what time it was. It’s like sitting in a library 24 hours a day. The smart phone took care of both the technical aspects and the safety aspects of any question. I did not need to resort to using my smart phone to answer your question as I am schooled in electronics (an associates degree from Univ of Hartford, way back in 1969) and am well versed in the hazards of improperly using Ohm’s Law. So as long as we aren’t setting fires, creating shock hazards or destroying electronic gear, whatever we want to do is permissible... it may not make any differences but at least it was done safely. Meaning “Everybody goes home safely tonight”.

As for the technical aspects, I didn’t think you were looking for the water pressure vs volume as compared to the electricity analogy so I just gave you the short version.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like you have your priorities in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.