• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tapping power on a "hidden" battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamx2

Premium Subscriber
Hey all,

My battery is behind the wheel well, requiring disassembling to get to. Should I still take that route, for a radio install, or can I tap off the jumper post under the hood?

K9WG

What kind of radio? How much current required? If you are only going to be drawing a couple amps then yes. If you need 10-20 amps then probably not.

BTW - what kind of car has the battery behind the wheel well?

n5ims

Often there's a "high current" tap inside the engine compartment on vehicles where the battery is elsewhere (trunk, under a seat, wheel well, etc.) to allow folks to jump start them. This may allow connection for high-draw radios depending on the design. There is most likely also a high power distribution panel that would be a better choice, however, since it's designed for multiple connections and provides better protection from the elements and engine grim.

bamx2

Premium Subscriber
Must be a Chrysler Sebring. I hate replacing batteries in those things!

What kind of radio? How much current required? If you are only going to be drawing a couple amps then yes. If you need 10-20 amps then probably not.

BTW - what kind of car has the battery behind the wheel well?

FT1900 - 11A on 55W.

It is a Sebring. I've searched all over, and can't find any assistance on the topic. I just had an alingment and new rim put on that side, so I don't want to pull the wheel off if I don't have to.

The post for the jumper cable is what I am wondering about. If it is sufficent.

Last edited:

LtDoc

It should be 'doable'. There's that 'jumper' post and also 'larger' power taps available in the under-hood fuse box (probably). Either should work just dandy.
There are lots of 'tips' about running power lines. Boiling them down amounts to safety and current carrying capacity. Larger power lines tend to be better because they allow for later additions (oh yes you will! :)). Fusing that power line at the battery/post is a very good idea (safety, possible shorts, etc.). The idea isn't all that hard to figure out, the 'doing' of it can be anything but $imple.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

SCPD

QRT
So what idiot engineer designed....... Arrgg.... I get off topic.... That is reason enough to keep me ever from buying one...
In alot of newer cars the battery is in odd places, I know in Cadillacs it's under the back seat, even in my 12 year old minivan you have to take a fuse box out an a fender brace off to get it out. And those stupid jumper posts are made of steel so the cables don't bite in like they do into lead.

Last edited:

K9DUO

The Dodge Intrepids battery were in the wheel well in front of the right front tire. The Chargers battery is in the trunk. Dodge in their infinate wisdom....

mrweather

Trunk mounted batteries are much easier to access for power for remote-faceplate radios.

K

kb0nly

In alot of newer cars the battery is in odd places, I know in Cadillacs it's under the back seat, even in my 12 year old minivan you have to take a fuse box out an a fender brace off to get it out. And those stupid jumper posts are made of steel so the cables don't bite in like they do into lead.

Pontiac Montana or the Chevy equivalent? That Montana that i had was the same, stupid underhood power center and fender strut over the battery, sucked to access it.

Status
Not open for further replies.