• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Target Digital Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1das

Hi, I’ve been reading over all these posts about DTRs and frequency hopping radio, so let’s presume that I had a radio capable of frequency hopping, How interoperable are they? If I was to be able to play around with a radio such as a DTR650 could I find the right info to program it into another personal radio? Thanks for any help understanding these anti scanner radios

Anti scanner radios LOL. I've heard of them referred to that before. :)

How interoperable are they? Not very. The legacy DTR410/550/650 models, DTR1020/1060 models, DTR600/700 models and the new Curve series model will all work with each other. They will not work with any other radios. I'm not aware of anyone having reverse engineered the DTR/DLR protocol and designed and built a non-Motorola radio that works with these radios.

What do you mean by "another personal radio"? If it's another DTR or DLR radio then yes, PROVIDED that it is programmed to the same frequency hopset and talkgroup ID, and 4 same digit PIN if using the PIN feature on Profile ID mode channels. If at the factory default settings, then yes and easily done. If the other radios have been custom programmed away from the factory defaults then NO.

If you are thinking of getting a used or new DTR or DLR radio, you can't get just one! Get a second one to be able to use them for your own comms with friends and family and really put the radios to the test. :)

n1das

This reminds me of a funny but related story I have posted about in other DTR/DLR related threads.

I actually have had a case where a guy who knew what they were doing tried to listen to my wife and I when we were using our DTR radios at a ham flea market. He failed of course. LOL. This was at NEAR-fest at the fairgrounds in Deerfield, NH. My wife had gone to get food from one of the food vendors while I was still wandering around the fairgrounds. We were chitchatting on the DTRs to figure out where to meet up when a guy a table asked her what frequency we were using. Since she didn't know, she asked me over the DTR radio and said a guy at a table was asking her. I replied that they are FHSS digital radios operating in the 902-928MHz ISM band. The guy then said to her "Oh.....so THAT'S why I can't find you on my spectrum analyzer!!" LOL. He was expecting to see a strong narrowband emission pop up somewhere in the UHF part of the spectrum and remain there for the duration of each transmission. We were hiding in plain site with who knows how many other FHSS devices operating in the 902-928MHz band. We were also using a Private talkgroup programmed in our DTR radios so they are not monitorable by any other DTR and DLR radios in the area. One thing we know for sure is that no scanners were able to hear us that day. LOL.

We weren't trying to hide from anybody while using our DTRs. We simply wanted professional quality digital radio communications that are higher quality and more professional than FRS. Not having to worry about FCC licensing and being completely scanner proof comes as bonuses.

Reposting my story from earlier in this thread. :)

Reposting my story from earlier in this thread. :)
They seem like great radios and a great radio for people who want private communications, thanks for the response, I had to look into it, anything I’m told I can’t listen to just makes it glow brighter in my mind of “Let’s listen to it”, I might look into getting a small pair just as a interesting communication system, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.