Taste of Chicago freq's

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Heading downtown tomorrow for the Taste of Chicago. What bands (or sections thereof) should I be scanning to hear what's going on behind the scenes?

Thanks in advance for any info / suggestions / comments.

SSSG

:)

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Ohh..What a Night !

Yes I was there, but not as a spectator. Bit the bullet and decided to take the overtime on one of the Special Events Ambulances...74 was my assignment. All was quiet as the cool air kept the riff-raff down to a minimum. Was able to scan the important frequencies while at our post. Had City-Wide 5 and 6 going plus the Main fire, Main-EMS plus of course our two digital frequencies. Prior to this, we had what I would describe as a "roll-call or ra-ra speech" from our bosses. You know the ones..keep vigilant, the world is watching etc. Their was plenty of Federal folks out there with all sorts of radios which I wasn't privy to listening to. I did pop in the UCV though for a quick look. As has been posted MANY times before, the frequencies were all still the same. The digital ones we were primarily on worked great and sounded crisp. Some digital garble to be expected, but I even did a radio check from inside Northwestern Memorial Hospital and was flawless which was encouraging.
Ahhhh, the best part ! As to be expected, all hell broke loose as the fireworks ended. Alot of radio activity on all the frequencies, but then the biggie hit. On City-Wide 5, the "shots fired, shots fired, man down!" came out. If anyone else happened to hear this, it was quite dramatic. I was at Northwestern when I heard all this going down. As some may have heard, 4 people were shot, 1 fatally at Congress & Dearborn, VanBuren & Clark. 1 offender taken into custody as well. Outstanding work by the CPD detail !!! After this was over, they pulled the Special Events ambulances out of the Taste and staged us at Jackson & Plymouth Court. We took runs for a couple of hours until the riff-raff went home. We had all the bosses from CFD and CPD there monitoring the radios. Fortunately. we were able to head in around 1 AM and I made it in the door by 2AM. Hope some of you had it on, it was quite exciting to listen to.

KSJ745

Thanks Chalkie!. Great description of events and a very good level of coherency in your post. I was down there and got some of the usual close call hits. Lots of intermod though. Hmmm Grrrr..... I was stuffed and got out of Dodge just before 8pm. My goodness what a crowd. There must have been 5,000 M1's wearing size 6XL white t-shirts and bandanas stalking the place. The city needs to think about charging admission to keep some of the riff-raff out.

Tony

Last edited:

h00sierdaddy

werinshades - I heard several "10-1"s last night. I understand that has something to do with an officer declaring an emergency and CPD officers come out of the woodwork. Could you explain a little more what a 10-1 is called for and what the CPD response is? Thanks. Happy 4th!

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
10-1's..Defined

werinshades - I heard several "10-1"s last night. I understand that has something to do with an officer declaring an emergency and CPD officers come out of the woodwork. Could you explain a little more what a 10-1 is called for and what the CPD response is? Thanks. Happy 4th!

A "10-1" is an "officer calling for help" . This also applies to CFD as well. It's a Priority 0 call in the CPD C.A.D. System and is the highest priority dispatch. A 10-1 can be called anytime an officer(s) are overwhelmed and need additional officers so the thought process is "if you're around, respond". Yesterday evening their was numerous 10-1's called around Buckinham Fountain. One report came in as a man shot, shots fired which turned out to be unfounded. Numerous fights broke out, sort of a prelude to the later events. One thing I didn't add from my previous post, during our "ra-ra speech" as I so called it, we were briefed about the Federal response at this event. Needless to say it was very overwhelmingly impressive, but they are not their to handle the "neighborhood rugrats". Some of you probably caught the US Marshals on the local news last night standing guard on Clark & VanBuren. Their was a thought the multiple shooting was a distraction to a possible escape. These guys and gals are wayyyy ahead of the game there.

h00sierdaddy

A "10-1" is an "officer calling for help" . This also applies to CFD as well. It's a Priority 0 call in the CPD C.A.D. System and is the highest priority dispatch. A 10-1 can be called anytime an officer(s) are overwhelmed and need additional officers so the thought process is "if you're around, respond". Yesterday evening their was numerous 10-1's called around Buckinham Fountain. One report came in as a man shot, shots fired which turned out to be unfounded. Numerous fights broke out, sort of a prelude to the later events. One thing I didn't add from my previous post, during our "ra-ra speech" as I so called it, we were briefed about the Federal response at this event. Needless to say it was very overwhelmingly impressive, but they are not their to handle the "neighborhood rugrats". Some of you probably caught the US Marshals on the local news last night standing guard on Clark & VanBuren. Their was a thought the multiple shooting was a distraction to a possible escape. These guys and gals are wayyyy ahead of the game there.

Thanks for the info and the 'inside scoop'!

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Chalkie!. Great description of events and a very good level of coherency in your post. I was down there and got some of the usual close call hits. Lots of intermod though. Hmmm Grrrr..... I was stuffed and got out of Dodge just before 8pm. My goodness what a crowd. There must have been 5,000 M1's wearing size 6XL white t-shirts and bandanas stalking the place. The city needs to think about charging admission to keep some of the riff-raff out.

Tony

Should have found me Tony, I was there being a good public servant...LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.