Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks,

I implemented some small changes in the Tavern today:

1. Posts in this forum no longer count towards your post count.

2. Posts in this forum will no longer be searchable in the index.

I'll also be adjusting the code that displays the latest active threads on the home page to not show threads from the Tavern.

I know that the Tavern is a fun place for many, however I'm working to not allow off topic discussions to polute the "meat" of the site.

Warm regards,

Lindsay

dangitdoug

Just curious Lindsay, is there a particular reason for these changes? Feel free to PM if you don't want to get into it here.

Thanks
Doug K

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Good ideas, esp. eliminating the Tavern post counts.

I think the "Senior Member" threshold of 100 posts is too low. When everyone is a senior member, then no one is.

On broadbandreports.com, they have a MVM (most valuable member) status. I think the post threshold needs to be in the 1000's, and the mods agree as to whom is a candidate for MVM based on their useful knowledge.

The good news is that when you see a MVM, you know they know their stuff, and they are respected.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I never understood the need to be called a "Senior Member" anyway. People can still "jack their jaws" on the various forums, while not really providing lots of substance. Not that I've ever done that :D

From a "Senior Member" but probably never a "MVM" :D

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
There is a user ranking system on these forums that I'm thinking about implementing... it would let the community determine valued members etc... however, I really don't know how that might play here... ;-)

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have no opionion on the post count counting from the tavern, but if anyone questions the choice, look at the "OAF" section on Glocktalk. There are people who have 20-30 posts a day to do nothing but "fluff"

godskidz

The Tavern

I Never read the tavern because I dont drink.
But seriously the tavern doesn't have much to do with scanning.
It's a waste of space where another good informative thread could be.
Sorry guys.
GOD BLESS

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I don't mind providing the tavern... people that group together with common interests also like to chat about other tihngs together... if we didn't have the tavern then these types of OT discussions would happen in the regular forums, causing us huge moderation issues.

It's a necessary evil in online communities, and sometimes it's healthy...

b52hbuff

blantonl said:
Folks,

Ok, I'll ask the stupid question? What does this mean? I can't use the search function in the Tavern space?

I understand the 'why' you're making these changes, but I'm also curious as to what this new implementation benefits? Does this reduce the disk space dedicated to the Tavern?

I don't have a strong feeling for this policy, but I'd ask you to consider that allowing a search in the Tavern would also allow folks to do a 'background' check on other members. It allows one more 'record' to understand folks that use the site...

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Grog said:
I never understood the need to be called a "Senior Member" anyway. People can still "jack their jaws" on the various forums, while not really providing lots of substance. Not that I've ever done that :D

From a "Senior Member" but probably never a "MVM" :D

I think Lindsay should just take that (Senior/Junior members) off. Its the info on the forums that is important not post count anyway.
Take care:)

Radio1114

b52hbuff said:
Ok, I'll ask the stupid question? What does this mean? I can't use the search function in the Tavern space?

I understand the 'why' you're making these changes, but I'm also curious as to what this new implementation benefits? Does this reduce the disk space dedicated to the Tavern?

I don't have a strong feeling for this policy, but I'd ask you to consider that allowing a search in the Tavern would also allow folks to do a 'background' check on other members. It allows one more 'record' to understand folks that use the site...

I don,t really feel the need to do the background check on people unless they have done something that is warrant for it.This would be invasion of privacy I beleive.I personaly don,t want to see the site get to be so strict that everyone will be afraid to make suggestions.But then again.Who am I just a member here.JUst my 2 cents worth.

STiMULi

Great move!

I respectfully disagree about the member rating system.

It would be like having an ever changing number on your back.

I would not mind seeing all badges of honor removed and then we rest on our statements posts and assistance as to how and who we are. I see many persons on this site that feel because they have been on the site since X they are smarter than you. I have seen others act as though thier post count makes them more knowledgable than you.

Perhaps one badge should appear that is not yet there:

Non subscriber

jparks29

John McClane
blantonl said:
Folks,

I implemented some small changes in the Tavern today:

1. Posts in this forum no longer count towards your post count.

I'll also be adjusting the code that displays the latest active threads on the home page to not show threads from the Tavern.

I know that the Tavern is a fun place for many, however I'm working to not allow off topic discussions to polute the "meat" of the site.

Warm regards,

Lindsay

I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DUEL!!

j/k.....your site...your rules.......

I disagree with the post count thing...although only because I like to artificially inflate my post count....

the second one I disagree with, because there's sometime useful information in the tavern, although I can understand that not searching the tavern will lessen the server load....

I think a simple "medal" or "dunce cap" system would work well....

medals for those who help, and dunce caps for those who are idiots.......

for every 5 negatives you get one dunce cap, and for every 3 "you helped me",you get a medal....

that way, you can ignore the guys with dunce caps next to their name, and listen to the guys with the medals...

(or other easily understandable symbol)

thanks for a great site!

Last edited:

Sac916

b52hbuff said:
don't have a strong feeling for this policy, but I'd ask you to consider that allowing a search in the Tavern would also allow folks to do a 'background' check on other members. It allows one more 'record' to understand folks that use the site

Wilf11 said:
I don,t really feel the need to do the background check on people unless they have done something that is warrant for it.This would be invasion of privacy I beleive.I personaly don,t want to see the site get to be so strict that everyone will be afraid to make suggestions.But then again.Who am I just a member here.JUst my 2 cents worth.

He's not literal about the "background" check. Simply means, a reader can search the forums and see what a particular person posts. ( IE Flames, ridiculous comments, uninformed comments or well informed comments )

Radio1114

oops lol my bad sorry about that.I guess I take things the wrong way. Must be my age catching up.: )

D

DaveNF2G

My vote on user ratings of any kind - NO. (Not a yell, just clarity for a very small word.)

Competition among members is a very likely source of strife in the Forums. Eliminating incentives for competition would be, IMO, a positive move.

OBTW, I am a subscriber, but I don't see the icon on my messages. I don't care why, nor am I asking for it to be "corrected" by pointing it out. However, it demonstrates a flaw in any rating system. Mechanical failure invalidates it as a means for users to spot the "experts" or the "valuable" posters in the forums. What if someone is a MVP but the symbol fails to display when their messages are loaded in someone else's browser? How would another user know?

Maybe one would respond that it really doesn't matter. If that is the case, then that is another good reason not to have it in the first place.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Are you talking about the Premium Subscriber icon that appears on the right hand side of your post?

Status
Not open for further replies.