Tax time, hoping to (finally) buy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ObiHann

Its looking as if the government may be kind to me this year, and allow me to finally buy a scanner. Before I run and throw money away, I was hoping to double check what the best handheld digital trunked scanner is for the money these days. Also, as there is always rumors of more and more agencies going encrypted, is it safe to buy? if I can't listen to police then I'm not overly interested :(

ObiHann

A little more info on what I'm looking for. The PSR 500 is the radio I have in mind, however I know there is a newer model (PSR800?), and was curious if it is worth the price. Another (related) question, what (if any) software may I need to get my radio programmed quick and easy?

Res21cue

Feed Provider
For the next number of years you should be Ok as long as you have a Digital Scanner.... HRM Police, RCMP, DFO, and DNR Conservation officers are all digital....where as EHS, DOT, Fire, DNR Regional Offices and such are all analog.

DFO is Mostly Encrypted so you wont hear them 9 times out of 10....and both HRM and RCMP have some encrypted TalkGroups such as Street Crime and Drug teams...so you will never hear them but for the rest of it a Digital Trunk Tracker should suffice.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
It's hard to compare the 500 and 800, but I would say... If you're comfortable with computers(And tech. in general.) you'll enjoy the 500. If you travel, or are weak on learning new tech. the 800 may be a better bet for you. The 800 will also decode X2-TDMA, which the 500 won't.

For the 500 you will need to buy software(ARC, WIN, PSREdit) which is roughly $30.
For the 800 it comes free.

I have both, and I like the 800 better for a few reasons....
Size
It will have a longer life then the 500 as more agencies implement X2-TDMA
I don't have to reprogram it when I travel
Free programming/no RR premium subscription needed.

(Edit:When you figure in programming software/RR subscription, the price becomes roughly the same)

Last edited:

ObiHann

It sounds to me that the 800 is a bit more future-proof, but I do worry about not being able to program it myself... Are there any disadvantages of it? What if the frequency I want to listen to isn't in its database, am I out of luck?

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
It sounds to me that the 800 is a bit more future-proof, but I do worry about not being able to program it myself... Are there any disadvantages of it? What if the frequency I want to listen to isn't in its database, am I out of luck?

Nope, then you just use the free software to add it :)

It's called EZScan for a reason, the software is EZ to use.

The only downside is not being able to add a frequency from the nonexistent keypad when you are out and about.

Last edited:

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
I did add on negative while you were replying, but that's the only thing I could think of.

And most people have everything they want to hear loaded into it before they go out and about.
(Or, it's in the database)

CBFD

the psr-800 is ok if you dont mind the anti slip coating rubbing off the first time you use it...

but if you want a decent deal on a psr-500 you should contact me...

Status
Not open for further replies.