Taxi Cab Frequencies ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracker44

Hello , I am in the Birmingham area. Quite some time back I programed some Taxi Cab frequenices in my rig. I have never herd any audio at all on these frequencies . I am considering deleting them from my rig all together.
I herd they were all useing Cell Phones now .????

Frquencies I Have:

Does any one have or know any information on these Frequencies or what they may be useing ????
Taxi Cab may not be worth persuing ??
TNX

Tracker44

O.K. and TNX a bunch for the information. I am just going to remove them from my rigs then.
I figered something was going on like that just wasnt sure .
TNX again

ecps92

Many of those Duplex Taxi pairs have been converted in various regions to Repeater Pairs and now used by NON Taxi [General Business] Frequencies. YMMV as to your specific region
O.K. and TNX a bunch for the information. I am just going to remove them from my rigs then.
I figered something was going on like that just wasnt sure .
TNX again

Tracker44

TNX ecps92, I sure am glad you folks responded to my post . At least this way I will fill better about removing them.
TNX again

Darkstar350

All depends on the region
Some taxi companies do still use the 152base/157mobile split(theres also more frequencies then those the OP listed)
Taxi companies as well as other misc businesses and private companies will have talkgroups on LTR/DMR ,etc trunk systems
Yes many taxi services are now using some type of computer/wifi setup to keep track of payments, etc but theres plenty of taxis still on the air again it all depends on your region
What you can do is run some searches on a scanner - try 151-159mhz 451-459mhz 470-478mhz
900mhz as well - 470 and 900mhz will most likely be your business trunk systems many of which may be digital now
Also if your ever close look for antennas on the taxi , what type of antenna, the size of it ,etc this will give a clue as to what radios they may be using...

Tracker44

Hello Darkstar350, and TNX for the information. I will try and get a look at the next antenna on a Cab I see.
I have already deleted all the frequencies listed above, and at some point in the future maybe try a more up to date list.
Those listed came from several different places.and I really felt like they were just a shot in the dark.
I never herd one word on any of them
TNX again for the information .

Darkstar350

Your welcome and aside from those frequencies you posted heres a few more 152 mhz "taxi band" freqs-
Some may be more narrow now such as 152.2775 152.2925/157.5525 ,etc

Also i found a couple LTR systems in your area that no one seems to have confirmed many talkgroups for yet(some radio enthusiasts dont like to listen to business systems because they think they are boring and whatnot ;) so perhaps you may want to tune in and see if you can catch some taxi activity
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1656
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1653
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1654

Tracker44

WOW Darkstar350, what a list.
I will be checking all those frequencies out and links . Looks like there may be some other interesting frequencies in what you posted I will be checking out.
TNX Darkstar350

Tracker44

Arnt the LTR systems Trunked systems ????
Theres alot about this that is still a little foreign or I am not real positive about.
I will program all these LTR frequencys as if they are.
TNX again

Darkstar350

Arnt the LTR systems Trunked systems ????
Theres alot about this that is still a little foreign or I am not real positive about.
I will program all these LTR frequencys as if they are.
TNX again

You can program the LTR frequencies in as conventional if you want and you will hear the conversations but you would not be able to see the talkgroups
Also seeing that some of those systems have not been updated in over 10 years theres no guarantee they are being used anymore or they may have switched to digital
Many of the old business LTR systems have now converted to Nexedge/Mototrbo,etc...

trlrdrdave

It was my experience that taxi's don't want to be scanned. Other taxi companies hear the dispatch and send their own to jump the fair. I understand the reasoning myself. Most I dealt with were encrypted. Either Mototrbo or an analog inversion scrambler.

Tracker44

TNX trlrdrdave , for the information. I had removed them from my scanner but after Darkstar350 posted his selections I re-entered those. There may be some of those being used by other business that I might pick up. If not , no issue any way.
TNX again

Darkstar350

Not sure what the situation is in Alabama as i live quite aways but i would imagine that a taxi company using scanners to "steal calls" is very illegal especially in areas where taxi and limo regulations are enforced
Nonetheless i could understand taxi companies wanting to be encrypted for privacy reasons,etc
Heres a few more common taxi freqs-
But yes its not written in stone that you would definitely hear taxis on these freqs - other agencies could very well be using these frequencies and vice versa...

Tracker44

Hi Darkstar350 , the Taxie thing was just a thought, since I knew they ounce used radios .
I havent been around a Taxie in 35 to 40 years, so not real sure much about them any more..
But maybe something else may show up on those frequencies you listed.
TNX for the information.

Darkstar350

Im sure many taxi services all across the country have switched to digital/trunked/phone apps,etc but id say its worth a shot to plug in some of the traditional "taxi band" frequencies just to see who if anyone is using those channels
Here in New York many taxis still use conventional - some on the 152mhz freqs, some on low band, some on more or less any other frequency but for the most part analog conventional
Analog radio is dying so its intresting to see what the majority of analog is becoming
Do tell what you find on some of those freqs :D

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
Most Taxi companies I know use cell phones these days. The ones that still use radio's are encrypted. Many police use cell phones these days for security reasons also so no need for encryption.

ecps92

An example of work, from another Region :cool:
Taxicabs - Scan New England Wiki
Rhode Island Taxis - Scan New England Wiki
Maine Taxis - Scan New England Wiki
New Hampshire Taxis - Scan New England Wiki

Im sure many taxi services all across the country have switched to digital/trunked/phone apps,etc but id say its worth a shot to plug in some of the traditional "taxi band" frequencies just to see who if anyone is using those channels
Here in New York many taxis still use conventional - some on the 152mhz freqs, some on low band, some on more or less any other frequency but for the most part analog conventional
Analog radio is dying so its intresting to see what the majority of analog is becoming
Do tell what you find on some of those freqs :D

Status
Not open for further replies.