Taylor PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

macari77

Ive been listing to the Downriver mutual aid for years and still haven't figured this out.

Taylor MI Police unit numbers?
They have 3 different types unit numbers:
Lincoln-**
9-**
Tac-*

I know they have 3 diffrent styles of cars.
Black and White
Dark Blue
Blacked out (Tac units) (Tac-1 is a SUV Taho with a K-9, Tac-2 regular police car with K-9)

The black and white and blue cars do not have clearly marked numbers on them, however, the Tac units do.

If anyone has any info it would be appreciated
Thank you

Contact

I'll try to reply to this within the next few weeks once I learn it. I am starting their Auxiliary Academy soon. There are also units that end with an A (1-A, 2-A, etc), which are the Auxiliary units.

Auxiliary units aren't generally dispatched very often to handle calls for service, except during events, so you won't hear them very often.

I can tell you that the numbers on the car don't have anything to do with their radio unit numbers. Some cities assign radio units to individual officers, while other cities assign radio units to a particular beat in the city. Allen Park, for example, has 5-6 and 5-7 which are north and south end cars, 5-5 is a two officer car, 5K-9 is naturally the K-9 unit, 5-W is the hook, so on and so forth. Other cities issue a radio call sign to an officer, so officer smith would always be 4L-70, no matter what car or beat they were working.

Last edited:

garretmeadows

Premium Subscriber
Lincoln 1, 2, ...12, etc are all single cars. 9-1, 2.. etc are two man cars. Since that scanner is down right now, any ideas on scanners to buy for Taylor?

SCPD

QRT
Taylor Days

When I started scanning in the early 70's, all Taylor units started with 9.

Taylor, and the downriver cities east of Pelham/Allen, and north of Pennsylvania, had just migrated from all being on the same VHF Low frequency. Taylor was Station 9. When they all went VHF-Hi, Taylor got it's own frequency, 155.67, and the rest of the downriver cities north of Penn went to 155.49. But the Number 9 didn't change.

For a long time, all Taylor cars were 9 something. About 15-20 years ago, they started bringing in the additional numbers and such. I'm sure the reason being that as the township became a city, and building up, the amount of mobile units kept increasing. Back when I started listening, Taylor PD was in a storefront, and I'm sure there were no more that a half dozen cars on the road at any time.

Trivia unrelated to your question: The downriver cities south of Penn stayed on VHF Lo until about 1978. Then they went to 155.64.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
When I started scanning in the early 70's, all Taylor units started with 9.

Taylor, and the downriver cities east of Pelham/Allen, and north of Pennsylvania, had just migrated from all being on the same VHF Low frequency. Taylor was Station 9. When they all went VHF-Hi, Taylor got it's own frequency, 155.67, and the rest of the downriver cities north of Penn went to 155.49. But the Number 9 didn't change.

If I remember correctly, wasn't all of the Downriver police departments on the same frequency of 39.02 MHz? I know Wayne County Sheriff, and a lot of the local departments were on 45 MHz until the early-to-mid 1970s.

73's

Ron

SCPD

QRT
Downriver

If I remember correctly, wasn't all of the Downriver police departments on the same frequency of 39.02 MHz? I know Wayne County Sheriff, and a lot of the local departments were on 45 MHz until the early-to-mid 1970s.

73's

Ron

I can't remember the actual frequencies anymore. I can pretty much pinpoint when the downriver cities south of Pennsylvania went up from the low bands, because it happened just as I started going to RETS, an electronics school in Detroit. And I know what year I started there. 1977.

The cities north of Penn were on 155.49 and 155.67 by 1973, but I can remember ball mounts without the whips on some of the vehicles. You may be right about the 45 Mhz, that's where Trenton DPW was up until about 4 years ago, and someone told me the different low band DPW freqs downriver were all old Fire and Police frequencies. Can't tell from the database anymore, but that 39.02 you mention seems like something that was listed for Gibralter before they went 800. I'm too old to remember, better blow the dust off an old Police Call.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Can't tell from the database anymore, but that 39.02 you mention seems like something that was listed for Gibralter before they went 800. I'm too old to remember, better blow the dust off an old Police Call.

Sounds like a good idea to me! :)

73's

Ron

garretmeadows

Premium Subscriber
Hey! I'm new to this. If I wanted to listen to TaylorPD, what scanners should I get and how in the heck can I program all the information into it to listen?

kd8ati

Feed Provider
Hey! I'm new to this. If I wanted to listen to TaylorPD, what scanners should I get and how in the heck can I program all the information into it to listen?

Taylor is on a digital trunking system. Thus you will need a digital trunking scanner. A good list to start from is here...
Digital Police Scanner Radios

As far as the program... the best bet would be to get a computer program cable and program software for the scanner, and do it on the computer. Each scanner has its own method to be programmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.