TDOT Chattanooga

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFDQ1

Premium Subscriber
So why is it that I can hear them on the TACN sometimes and then they just disappear for a while?
It's just hit or miss. I notice that their trucks have multiple radios in them... Any info would be greatly appreciated.

N2AL

Depending on which tower site they are affiliated with, depends if you can hear the talk group or not.

If no one is on a talk group of the tower site you are monitoring, you will not hear any traffic.

If that talk group is in use on the tower you are monitoring, you can hear the traffic.

I don't know the nuts and bolts of it, but that's the short answer I suppose you could call it.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Exactly. Frequently if TDOT Help is not near a Murfreesboro tower nothing is heard but as soon as one affiliates with one of the towers then good comms from all Nashville area units. Less of a problem these days as they have allocated trucks to the I-24/I-840 corridor.

CFDQ1

Premium Subscriber
Thank you guys for replying.

I understand how the system works and I use the Chattanooga simulcast tower. TDOT operates help trucks in the heart of downtown Chattanooga so there is no reason I shouldn't be able to hear them on the system if they are using the TACN.

However, I work at the Chattanooga Fire Department and ran a call with TDOT help the other day and the guy had 3 portables on him and I noticed his truck was loaded with radios.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Sounds intriguing. Perhaps another viewer has better intel.

xlr8

Premium Subscriber
Also need to keep in mind that TDOT HELP units, much like THP units, need the ability to communicate with all agencies up and down the Interstate corridor. The include from the big four municipalities (including those on the TACN) to smaller rural county SO and fire/rescue agencies. I'm sure that what was described above is probably what's happening to your reception though.

Good luck!

CFDQ1

Premium Subscriber
I am still not hearing TDOT!!!! I can not figure out why I am not hearing the HELP trucks in Chattanooga on the TACN

N2AL

I am still not hearing TDOT!!!! I can not figure out why I am not hearing the HELP trucks in Chattanooga on the TACN

Just to be sure, can you verify the talk group for TDOT HELP you have programmed? Also are the appropriate receive frequencies correct in your radio equipment?

ka4bni

Feed Provider
Just to be sure, can you verify the talk group for TDOT HELP you have programmed? Also are the appropriate receive frequencies correct in your radio equipment?
Also, all TDOT Help Truck talk groups across the state are TDMA. Do you have a TDMA capable scanner?

CFDQ1

Premium Subscriber
I am using a BCD536HP and I am scanning the Chattanooga Simulcast site on TACN.
The TGID I have is 47151

CFDQ1

Premium Subscriber
So I have found my actual problem! When my BCD536HP is scanning the TACN on the Chattanooga tower, it is not stopping on TDOT when they have radio traffic. However, when I purposely monitor the channel I can receive them all day long. I do not have anything avoided. Some insight on his would be great

N2AL

So I have found my actual problem! When my BCD536HP is scanning the TACN on the Chattanooga tower, it is not stopping on TDOT when they have radio traffic. However, when I purposely monitor the channel I can receive them all day long. I do not have anything avoided. Some insight on his would be great

So it sounds like you have TDOT on Scan Lockout. Aka your scanner skips TDOT because it is not in the scan bank. You need to disable the Scan Lockout.

CFDQ1

Premium Subscriber
Edit Profile, then select service types? Is that what you mean?

I had no clue this had anything to do with my favorites list!

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Edit Profile, then select service types? Is that what you mean?

I had no clue this had anything to do with my favorites list!

Yuppers... It can completely block out hearing tons! In the BCDx36HPs that is almost as important a step as the actual systems! Make sure the Tac's are enabled, Talk's, Multi's, Public Works, and if you monitor any SMR or business systems, Business. Transportation for buses and trains etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

CFDQ1

Premium Subscriber
Milf, thanks for the info. That was the answer to all my problems. I can't believe all that I was missing out on! Thanks again brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.