TDXone Amateur HT

Status
Not open for further replies.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Hi all:

Since passing my Technician exam in October, I have checked out the many models of amateur radio transceivers and saved up to get something and get on the air. Many times while on the internet, I would show the pictures of various units to my wife (hoping she would take the bait) and expressing interest in this Yaesu or that Kenwood or the other Icom, etc.

While she would observe these proceedings, she would always come back with that age old expression: "Why not wait and see what Santa may have for you under the tree". So, I did just that...I waited. And sure enough, the old guy in the red suit DID put something under the tree and it's the TDXone dual bander. It appears the wife skulked on down to the local radio supply and was talked into this unit as an entry level rig so that I could test the ham hobby with a minimal investment. So, I am now equipped to get on the air, but the manual that came with it isn't the easiest to understand, which is where the members here come into play.

Are there any RR members that are competent with the setup and usage of this unit and would be willing to answer any questions I may come up with during my learning just how to operate this baby?

My first one is, "Just how good or bad is the performance of this ht? Does it get the job done or not?

I have it connected to a Tram 1185 dual band antenna. Should I get an SWR meter to see what I have going on before I try to transmit and do something stupid?

Thanks for your help.

Russell

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 2,667

KA9QPN

I bought mine at Dayton last year, merely because the whole 'immersible' thing intrigued me. I will admit that I am lazy when it comes to programming these radios and always revert to the software. It uses the same Kenwood cable that Baofeng and company use, but I had to email the dealer in MN to have him send me a link for the software. Some dealers ship the Chinese radios with them locked to Amateur frequencies only, requiring the software to unlock them. And the reason that I bought this one is so I can use it for both my EMA freqs (it's Part 90 ok) and ham freqs.

My suggestion to you is get the software and a cable. I own probably a half-dozen Chinese HTs and two Chinese mobiles, and the very first thing that I learned was to get the software. There is enough support on line for the Wouxuns and Baofengs to where some cheater instructions have been compiled. The TDXone is obscure so all of that research hasn't been attempted. And, I'm going to tell you that you will be frustrated trying to program it by hand.

Also, I hope that you bought one of the short 'rigsaver' jumpers so as not to have to connect the heavy feedline directly to that bitty connector on top.

Chances are that if you assembled your antenna per the manufacturer's instructions, you are most likely in the ballpark on tuning. I have a power/SWR bridge, but I mostly use it for repair and troubleshooting. You don't want any more things in the line causing loss than necessary. Relax and continue.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Hello KA9QPN:

I totally agree with you about getting frustrated trying to hand program this radio, and the software and the programming cable were included in the box. The users manual (also included) is written in English but the sentences are sometimes illogical...like trying to talk to a foreigner and getting a reply that you cannot understand.

I have opened the program and set up a file with some repeaters that are in my local area - such as CT and Western MA, and when I wrote it to the radio, went through easily. Since doing that, I have received traffic on some of the repeaters so I'm guessing that I did it correctly.

Your suggestion about the short jumper cable was a good idea and this item was offered at the dealer and I did get one. I agree that this takes the pressure off the tiny SMA connection when hooked up to a length of coax.

I am going to go ahead and get on the air and see just how good it performs.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate your input. 73 to you.

Russell

kd4msn

freq. Problem

I bought mine at Dayton last year, merely because the whole 'immersible' thing intrigued me. I will admit that I am lazy when it comes to programming these radios and always revert to the software. It uses the same Kenwood cable that Baofeng and company use, but I had to email the dealer in MN to have him send me a link for the software. Some dealers ship the Chinese radios with them locked to Amateur frequencies only, requiring the software to unlock them. And the reason that I bought this one is so I can use it for both my EMA freqs (it's Part 90 ok) and ham freqs.

My suggestion to you is get the software and a cable. I own probably a half-dozen Chinese HTs and two Chinese mobiles, and the very first thing that I learned was to get the software. There is enough support on line for the Wouxuns and Baofengs to where some cheater instructions have been compiled. The TDXone is obscure so all of that research hasn't been attempted. And, I'm going to tell you that you will be frustrated trying to program it by hand.

Also, I hope that you bought one of the short 'rigsaver' jumpers so as not to have to connect the heavy feedline directly to that bitty connector on top.

Chances are that if you assembled your antenna per the manufacturer's instructions, you are most likely in the ballpark on tuning. I have a power/SWR bridge, but I mostly use it for repair and troubleshooting. You don't want any more things in the line causing loss than necessary. Relax and continue.

I purchased mine at a hamfest for my business as well and the dealer would not even talk to me about unlocking out of fear of being pros. How can I obtain the software to program and open it up for my business freq.? Thanks

russellmaher

KC1ANC
KA9QPN:

My dealer had my radio locked to the Amateur freqs when it was purchased, so I can't offer any advice on how to set up business freqs.

Sorry.

Russell

KA9QPN

I purchased mine at a hamfest for my business as well and the dealer would not even talk to me about unlocking out of fear of being pros. How can I obtain the software to program and open it up for my business freq.? Thanks

TDXone TD-Q8 Specifications Bottom of the page.

For newer models (after T2013Q800xxx): http://www.radioinc.com/TDXone/TDX-Q8A-EN-V6.0-setup.exe

I don't know where to find the TDX-Limit software needed to unlock this radio. Radio City emailed me a link, but my email storage got vaporized in a hardware failure so I no longer have the link.

Tom KA9QPN

kd4msn

I appreciate it guys but the radio has been sold I am sending it to the buyer monday. I decided to try the Boafeng there is a lot more info and software avilable everywhere, Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.