tech/after 2m/70cm

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Just guessing but quite a few upgrade to General and then go HF. Others get into satellites-some of which can be used with a handheld and simple antennas. Then there would be SSB on VHF/UHF. Some will get interested in 6 meters. I would have to after FM and repeaters, there are many interests and directions to go.

Not sure if there is a majority type thing-it would depend on each individual.

Having been licensed for almost 40 years, there are still 'new' things to try.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
A couple more things a tech can do are fast scan amateur TV (ATV) and bouncing signals off the surface of the moon (EME).

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
DMR. Fusion, DStar at least mostly requires radio. Satellites.

KF5ZIS

Data networks over RF such as AREDN or Broadband Hamnet.

APRS is drastically under utilized.

There's a really interesting thread on here about uses and propagation for 6m FM, I may comeback and edit in a link to it. I'm certainly interested in playing in that arena.

The numerous digital modes (partial list above) are interesting. A decent DMR radio can be had for under $200US (TYT MD-390 GPS), or under $100 if you don't want the waterproof GPS version, YSF (Fusion) and D*Star are a bit pricier at over $300US on up to $600US (I really want that Kenwood TH-D74, 1.25m and D*Star, yes please!). There's no amateur activity on P25 or NXDN around me that I am aware of.

Load up your favorite repeater site. I highly recommend RFinder.net (no pecuniary interest) be cause it's the only site I've found that lets me break out which digital mode repeaters I want by frequency. I was amazed at the number of 6m repeaters around me. The last time I checked there were only 2 and I don't know if I could have hit them or not, even with the nice long range of 6m.

bharvey2

What do (in general) techs usually play with or get interested in after getting their 2m/70cm? 1.25m? etc...

Though I'm not a tech, (started as a General out of the gate) You could upgrade your license. This gives you a lot more bandwidth to work with. However, the cost of admission is often higher with HF radios though. And, it's handy to have some real estate to work with so you can set up the larger antennas that are typically required.

As has been mentioned, venturing into the DMR world might be the way to go. DMR has really expanded a lot here in California and you can go just the radio route or some people have opted to build their own radio nodes to connect to the internet. Take a look at these sites to get a handle on what is going on in California:

NorCal BrandMeister Network – Building the Future of DMR in Northern California

PAPA System

The first (mainly Nor Cal and Cen Cal) is devoted to DMR while the second (So Cal) covers their analog, D-Star and DMR offerings.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If I recall correctly, you live in an apartment. Running HF out of an apartment isn't impossible, but it isn't easy, either. Between the severely compromised antennas and hosing down all your neighbors electronics with RF energy, it can be pretty hard to do.

It's really up to you and what your interests are. You tech license gives you a lot of areas to play around in. Upgrading to General gives you some more HF privileges, but those may be hard to use in your current situation.
Without having some space, big antennas will be difficult.

What you may find interesting is running portable HF. That would include a small radio, battery pack, portable antenna and hiking out into the hills and operating HF from there. Lots of space to string up wire antennas and no neighbors to annoy.

KD8DVR

You also have ssb privileges on a chunk of 10 meters. It can open up at times. There are tons of things, like those previously mentioned, to keep you having fun.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

KD8DVR

Individuals obtain an Amateur Radio license to use an internet connection? I can't say that I share your enthusiasm..
Well...in my case, I run an rf node. Definitely radio involved. Nothing much different than all the linking that the DMR craze has taken to epic levels.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

TheSpaceMann

Individuals obtain an Amateur Radio license to use an internet connection? I can't say that I share your enthusiasm..
Well that "internet connection" can connect directly to repeaters which allow hams to talk via RF to other hams using base, mobile or portable tranceivers. Those QSOs can be thousands of miles apart, even when conditions for radio propagation are dismal! Furthermore, you don't even need radios, antennas, power supplies, etc., because you can get onto Echolink using only a computer or a smartphone!!

Last edited:

royldean

Furthermore, you don't even need radios, antennas, power supplies, etc., because you can get onto Echolink using only a computer or a smartphone!!

While I don't discount echolink at all, this makes no sense.

why not just call a party line with any old phone? Or just walk to the local grocery store and start talking to people in the parking lot... :)

N5TWB

why not just call a party line with any old phone? Or just walk to the local grocery store and start talking to people in the parking lot... :)

Party line???? Ma Bell left those behind in the 60s even out here in flyover country.

Talking to people in the grocery store parking lot? Sounds like crazy stalking to me.

Try one of these other modes just to learning or fun...or just sit there at your HF station, cursing poor propagation and not having your desired Nirvana combination of tower/beam/amplifier to communicate as you wish.

SCPD

QRT
You ask'd a good question, Delivers....what do they do...........
I am going to frame your question around the word "after" since most Tech's will be happy with their hobby talking on the bands you mentioned. They may start out on FM and branch over to digital- others may have gone straight to 10 metre's, or tried their hand at 6..... especially 6 - The Magic Band-- it has captured the imagination of hams for generations. But this is only a slice of what is possible with Tech privileges. And too, I have used the word 'talk.' For the vast majority, talking on their radios is just fine. They enjoy some of the simpler technical aspects, but primarily its a social thing. The radio is a tool, not itself the interest. I will concede here, there is a vast spectrum between the appliance operator and the engineer- but most are closer to the former.
Now!... if you will, step into Coyote's realm !... :)
I am not one of the talkers....Oh, don't get me wrong-- I enjoy conversing over my radios with neat people all over the world-- but I like more the radios/electronics themselves.
Want an exotic example?
I have two radars at my home in the mountains-- both are adapted marine equipment, tuned to ham C and X bands. Practical?... Ha!...hardly :)......but my nieces love to play with them, and I remain fascinated at what I can look at, or how far I can see with them-- especially my C band unit.
Another
This winter I revisited an old military VLF radio site (the former NSS) and was enthralled by some of the old towers still standing. My dissertation was E/VLF related- when we left that station site my interest in low frequencies was rekindled..... So..
When the snows melt in the spring, and I can assemble something experimental in antennas, I plan to play between 160-180Khz (Part 5*.) I have this sideband generator, and this amp..... maybe I'll try a narrow phased shift'd.......
(Some day, too, I am going to put my high power'd 6 metre station back on and return to Tropo.... though I say that every year.......)
What I am trying to get at is, are you interested in what you can do with a radio, or is it the radio itself?---or both? Ever thought about trying to refract a 440 signal over a mountain range into a shadow'd valley beyond, or maybe the fun of accomplishing a 100 mile circuit on 24Ghz from the top of that mountain range-- and why stop at 24Ghz?
Turn your imagination free!......:)
....................................CF
*I know, this, to purist, is not exactly ham radio, but it will do until VLF is available in the US without a STA

Last edited:

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
To the OP...
Ask good questions and you will get good answers, at least on this forum. You asked a good one.
But let's look at a bigger picture just for a moment...
The answers you have gotten for your good question are, in a sense 'snapshots' of a much larger scene called 'ham radio'. I have been in the hobby for (almost) half a century, I haven't done everything there is to do with ham radio, and I've done more different things than most. I probably will run out of time before I would or could do everything the hobby has to offer.

As soon as you can, upgrade to General Class. That license class gives you more options for what activities are available to you.

CW
SSB
digital voice modes
digital data modes
SSTV
FSTV
VHF/UHF 'Mountaintopping'
APRS
EMCOMM / Public Service
Microwave communications
Meteor scatter
Airplane reflections
Satellite communications
Optical communications
Radio-over-IP
EME (Moonbounce)
Mobile ham radio (via car / airplane / parachute / balloon / boat / bicycle / your own feet )

Those are just what I have done. There are more aspects of ham radio than just those.

But YOU have to start someplace. I assume you have already gotten exposed to the radio hobby via 2M and UHF FM. 2M/UHF FM is not a bad way to start. The bands/mode represent a 'gateway'. I think I know where you live and I know for a fact there are a few good 2M repeaters where you would find people you would get to like and discuss the hobby with, thereby getting a better idea of what things you might want to try next. Find out what other hams in your area do with the hobby and maybe some of them will demonstrate those other activities to you so you can see if it interests you or not. Just never forget that you're seeking new horizons in the hobby and using local repeaters as window to a bigger picture. Attend some meetings of ham radio clubs. I know there are several in your area, and with a little driving you can attend a lot more club meetings.

I am like Ms. Coyote; I 'do' more than I talk. But I have never lost the pleasure of being able to converse with others, anywhere, should I feel the desire to do so. Ham Radio led me into the career I have.
Not every radio contact is a new adventure, but lots of them are. Don't be shy about making them.

N4KVE

While I don't discount echolink at all, this makes no sense.

I had to laugh, but I agree. It's one thing to have people on both ends of the conversation talking into a real 2-way radio, & having the 2 repeaters being connected by the internet, but to have both people talking into their computers & not using a 2-way radio, well why bother getting your ticket? Just pick up a phone, & start pushing buttons until the phone rings, & see how far away the person who answers the phone lives. If the 1st 2 buttons you press start with 11, the other person will be far away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.