Tech Callsign waiting period?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdesigns

I took my tech exam on 4-5-14, they told me my callsign should be available in a couple of days. So far I dont see my callsign yet on the fcc database. How long is taking to get the callsign this days?

n5ims

Some VEs file their paperwork with their VECs electronically while others mail them using envelopes and stamps (yes, this still happens even in the e-mail age). This may be due to the amount of tests they process or due to the number of errors they've had in the past. Those that electronically file often have things processed quite quickly (my last upgrade was in the FCC's ULS in less than 24 hours of taking the test) while the envelope and stamp folks will take quite a bit longer (both to transport and for the VEC to process them).

It's also possible that your application had an error of one kind or another that caused processing to be halted until the error was corrected. This error may be your fault (e.g. your application form was missing a field or something) or perhaps the fault of one of the testers (e.g. they didn't correctly sign or date the answer sheet). Depending on the error, it could be quickly and easily fixed, or take some time to send things back, have the correction made, and return them for processing again.

Since your signature indicates you may have a GMRS license, it may also be that your ham application didn't include your existing FRN number so it was processed as if you didn't already have one. When a duplicate person error showed up when the FCC was processing the update, it could've been rejected until they confirmed that the applicant did or did not already have an FRN on file so they could add the ham license to the existing GMRS FRN or add a new one with just a ham license for a person with the same name and address as the GMRS licensee (e.g. Bob Smith Sr. had the GMRS license and Bob Smith Jr. had the ham license). Sorting out things like this can take quite a bit of back-and-forth communication between the FCC and the VEC and slow things down big time.

KW4HKY

4 business days tops around here. Call the examiner. Saturday test normally on the data base Tuesday if it is filed online.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

cdesigns

I did leave the FRN space blank. I didnt know I had to put my GMRS frn in there. My gmrs license expired last Feb.

Hmmm I have some FPV gear I want try on my drones but I need my callsign first .

cdesigns

I fly the DJI Phantom. It's awesome flying FPV with my gopro and fatshark goggles!

I have 2 phantoms, Bixler 2, Sky Hunter, UHF long range radio, 1.3ghz and 5.8ghz video etc. I just need my callsign to be legal. :D ................ :D

Here is my phantom fly it by my neighbor who has a tech license, I want mine to fly it 24/7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8YsD_Hr_Sk

Last edited:

Wally46

Feed Provider
I have 2 phantoms, Bixler 2, Sky Hunter, UHF long range radio, 1.3ghz and 5.8ghz video etc. I just need my callsign to be legal. :D ................ :D

Here is my phantom fly it by my neighbor who has a tech license, I want mine to fly it 24/7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8YsD_Hr_Sk

Sweet! And that controller is awesome! I'm taking mine on the hot rod power tour this year to get some good video and pictures of our journey. Take care!

aaron315

Assuming there were no errors in the batch submitted by the vec to the fcc expect a 7 to 10 day turn around from the day the vec submitted the batch and not withstanding government holidays.

At least one of the national vecs is bad about holding applications until the batch is "big enough" before sending them in. Obviousily that will extend the wait.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

kma371

QRT
20 years ago, I had to wait 4 months for it to come in the mail! Be thankful you will only have to wait a week.

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
Check the qrz.com batches they post daily. Sometimes it won't show up in FCC search even if it is issued. It can be kind of sensitive. If they filed it electronically it will be faster like some have stated. I got mine in 5 days and only 3 of those days were business days.

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
I took my tech exam on 4-5-14, they told me my callsign should be available in a couple of days. So far I dont see my callsign yet on the fcc database. How long is taking to get the callsign this days?

Mine showed up on the site after about 5 days. I received the certificate in the mail about a week after that.

k6cpo

I did leave the FRN space blank. I didnt know I had to put my GMRS frn in there. My gmrs license expired last Feb.

There's the reason right there. No FRN on the 605 form.

Around here, we won't even let someone take the examination if they don't already have an FRN. We file electronically and licenses characteristically show up on the Monday following a Saturday examination.

Unfortunately, too many VECs, the ARRL included, still allow the processing of examination paperwork without FRNs. This is unfair to the applicants, especially those looking for their first license, because the VE team is making promises they can't keep. Promising someone who just passed the Technician examination that his license will be in the system in a couple of days and then submitting their paperwork with no FRN makes an unfavorable impression on the new ham.

Last edited:

ka4gfy

We normally see about a 10-12 day turn-around with ARRL without any problems.

Since many people are sensitive to putting their SSN on the form, we begin telling our class members how to get an FRN about 4 weeks before exam day. Some will and some won't. We do not turn anybody away because they do not have an FRN. Our class members understand what is going on and the walk-ins without a license don't seem bothered by using their SSN.

In over 20 years as a VE, I have only had one person who refused to put their SSN on the 605 form. in light of that, we told this person how to get the FRN a couple of weeks before the exam. On exam night, they waltzed into the exam and announced we could NOT send in the exams because the individual didn't have an FRN yet. Too bad for the rest of the class. They just have to wait. We gave the exam anyway and I called ARRL the next day. ARRL's instructions were send the exams in and ARRL will deal with the person.

I have worked with ARRL, W5YI and Laurel VECs and none of those VEC's do not/did not refuse to test anybody because they do not have an FRN.

Rich, KA4GFY

cdesigns

I did put my SSN but it never cross my mind that the FRN that I was gaven when I got my GMRS had anything to do with my Tech license, now I know is my fcc "id" . The other thing is that my GMRS expired and has an old address too. To make things worse my VE hasn't replied my emails to see if he send my application.

n5ims

To make things worse my VE hasn't replied my emails to see if he send my application.

Have a little patience, most VEs don't do that as their only job, but work outside the ham field. You posted late yesterday evening that you emailed the VE with your question and are now complaining that they haven't yet answered you. Perhaps your email arrived in their personal email account while they were sleeping and now wonder why while they're just getting off work. Most companies don't allow employees to check their personal email accounts during work hours. Give the guy some time to get home, eat, and change into some comfortable cloths so they can boot up their home PC and check their mail. It also may take him a bit to research your issue and get back to you with an answer. We all understand you being anxious but give him the time he needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.