Tech/Echo Link

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
I wish there were more articles on Radio Reference about Echo Link. To me, Echo Link is a very interesting protocol. Its been around for a few years and all one needs is a phone, tablet, laptop or desk top computer, an internet connection (and at least a Tech license). I have talked around the world with Echo Link using my HP i3 laptop and a $16 headset. Usually the conversations are through a repeater on the other end, but one can talk directly through VOIP if need be.

I have used it in the hospital after several surgeries, in my bed recovering from covid, and mostly on my desk especially when conditions for radio communications are trash.

I like it and think more articles should cover it!

Wouldn't it be interesting if someone invented a handheld just for Echo Link? It would cost way less than a phone, tablet or any other device out there for internet access. (It may exist, I'm just not aware of it.)

But most of all, no matter what one uses in Amateur Radio, get on the air!

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I recommend the use of echo link. I have it on my Samsung phone. My club subscribes and I can contact our repeater.

Always have a scanner on and scan my clubs output frequency. No matter where I am, as long as I have internet service, a few taps on the phone and then an announcement comes over the repeater with my call letters and saying "connected", I'm in business with a nice clear well modulated connection no matter where I am.

It's not a substitute but it's convenient sometimes.

KD8DVR

Amateur radio without a radio is not amateur radio.
Worst thing they did was to make that stupid telephone app. Fortunately, I can set my simplex node to block these.

Get a couple radios and connect one to your computer and run a simplex node. More rewarding.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Worst thing they did was to make that stupid telephone app. Fortunately, I can set my simplex node to block these.

Get a couple radios and connect one to your computer and run a simplex node. More rewarding.
I can understand the sentiment but I don't necessarily think it's stupid.

There is a ham radio connected to the internet involved at the output site. Without that it doesn't work.

As I was saying it's not a substitute but it can be very convenient.

To reap rewards means to get all the good things that come with something and this is one of them LOL.

n5ims

Is Echolink Amateur Radio? Yes, most definitely. Many times it actually uses radio (your cell phone uses radio to communicate with the cell towers, right?) but not required. It provides a great way for club members (especially club officers) to join a club net when they're out of town or in a location where their handheld simply won't make it ("can you increase power or improve your location?"). Thanks to Echolink, we have several out of town (even out of state or foreign country hams) participating in local nets. This happens often enough that many have a special check in section for Echolink participants. The availability of Echolink on our repeater has allowed members that have moved into retirement homes or live out of their campers traveling the country to keep participating in our club. For those that say Echolink isn't ham radio, I guess that they also say that joining our meetings via teleconference software doesn't count as them being at the meeting either. Sad.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Is Echolink Amateur Radio? Yes, most definitely. Many times it actually uses radio (your cell phone uses radio to communicate with the cell towers, right?) but not required. It provides a great way for club members (especially club officers) to join a club net when they're out of town or in a location where their handheld simply won't make it ("can you increase power or improve your location?"). Thanks to Echolink, we have several out of town (even out of state or foreign country hams) participating in local nets. This happens often enough that many have a special check in section for Echolink participants. The availability of Echolink on our repeater has allowed members that have moved into retirement homes or live out of their campers traveling the country to keep participating in our club. For those that say Echolink isn't ham radio, I guess that they also say that joining our meetings via teleconference software doesn't count as them being at the meeting either. Sad.
I can appreciate that sentiment also. So in a nutshell, my clubs repeater has numerous inputs and covers a wide area and is used by emergency nets. Also relatively active in the area for various nets including social. It's a good setup.

Since the virus attack everything's changed. Our meetings are still hybrid on internet and in person.

People are still trying to normalize this summer but with the cancellation of field days and hamfests, in person meetings, licensing sessions, it did kind of suck the wind out of.. things. ;)

That's when EchoLink became relevant. I'm not sure that I agree that it should be used in emergency nets. Chances are, if amateur radio ever really became relevant in a national emergency it would be, simplex.

Who knows, I'm glad to have EchoLink for the few times that I use it.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.

Thats what am doing now for over 20 years now, Echolink is one of the cheap ways to get started in VOIP ........

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber

Sure is nice to be able to check into my club net when I'm out of state or country.

kb9mwr

In the eyes of the FCC, all voip interconnections to ham radio transmitters are considered 3rd party traffic. To ease the concerns of the guy operating the radio end, the various networks (echolink, irlp, allstar) all require some sort of verification that you are a ham on the voip end of the connection.