tech question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltjweiss

i have a pro-95 i bought a a/c adapter for it at "the shack" a while ago, but i recently i have decided to replace my cordless phones, it has 3 extra handsets with chargers, the cords that they had oh them has an output of 9v and 350 mA, that is only 50 mA over the factory recomendations, my question is, "is the cord ok to use with my pro-95 if the polarity is correct?"

DickH

i have a pro-95 i bought a a/c adapter for it at "the shack" a while ago, but i recently i have decided to replace my cordless phones, it has 3 extra handsets with chargers, the cords that they had oh them has an output of 9v and 350 mA, that is only 50 mA over the factory recomendations, my question is, "is the cord ok to use with my pro-95 if the polarity is correct?"

Yes. The current rating (350mA) of a power supply is the maximum it will supply. If your scanner draws less than that, it will work OK. If the power supply is rated 500mA or 800mA it will work OK.
FYI, the PRO-95 only draws around 100mA.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
FYI, the PRO-95 only draws around 100mA.
The power consumed by the scanner depends on some factors which include:
- The VOLUME setting
- If the backlight is on
- If batteries are being charged

I performed extensive testing of several scanners including more than one PRO-95 and found the following:
On, MAN mode, squelched = ~75ma
MAN mode, squelched, BACKLIGHT on = ~110ma
Full audio volume, backlight off = ~140ma
Full audio volume, backlight ON = ~170ma
Current consumed by batteries being charged = 146ma

So, if you are running with the backlight on, reasonable volume and charging batteries, the current draw is very close to 300ma.

Generally speaking there are no issues in running an "over-rated" power supply. The one issue I have found has to do with unloaded output voltage. Most of these wall transformers have unregulated voltage output. The higher the capacity, I've found the wider the voltage swing between no load and load. OTOH, I've had no problems in running PRO-9x scanners from supplies with ratings between 300ma and 1amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.