tech test today

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Congratulations! I hope you get a nice call sign. Did you get a 2 meter radio yet?

73 to you.

KK6KLU

Congrats! I have a couple of the UV-5R's as well and they are fun once you get them programmed with CHIRP and the cable!

k6cpo

Thank's, and yes I have A Baofeng uv-5r with a diamond srj77ca antenna. I need to order the programming cable for it.

oh yes, I have been programming it manually for a month now with trial and error. still want the cable though.

Be very, very careful of where you buy the programming cable. There have been reports of cables with counterfeit chips in them and the usual drivers won't work. CHIRP works, but is just a basic programmer. i couldn't get it to work with a CSV file taken from one of my other programmers. My suggestion is to buy the RT Systems cable and software. It will save a lot of hassle.

https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/baofeng-uv-5r-radio-programming-software-s/2225.htm

Wally46

Feed Provider
Congratulations. I got mine back in November and I've been using my Baofeng radios also. That chirp program makes it so much easier. I bought the MFJ antenna for mine since the stock ones aren't near as good. I'm having fun on 2 meter so far. Can't wait to take my general and try the big world of HF.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the transmit side of radio. That radio and antenna you have are good enough to work the SO-50 satellite repeater. I have done it with that radio and less of an antenna. You might want to add a hand mike so that you can work the antenna angle as the satellite passes overhead. Perhaps program in the frequencies now and simply listen and get the hang of how to hold the HT when working the satellite for receive and transmit. It will also expose you to the exchange of information where operators provide their call sign, grid square, as well as confirm the call sign of the other operator.

Read this:
G4VXE.COM: Programming the UV-5R to operate with the SO-50 satellite

Watch this: (Notice the way the radio is held at a down angle)
SO-50 Amateur Radio Satellite with Baofeng UV-5R Jan 2014 - YouTube

Have fun!

speedwerx

Vagrant that is amazing. you all are opening alot of door's and information and I havn't even recieved my call yet. this is gonna be a fun hobby.

speedwerx

Thank's prerunner, and yes I have found the site before, back when I was doing a search on how to program, that site came up. I'm also still waiting on my call and it looks like fcc has not updated at all today so hopefully monday, was hoping to be talking this weekend.

k6cpo

It's been a week and no update? Are you searching by the correct FRN? I think it's about time you get in touch with the VEC that administered your examination and find out what the delay might be. Around here, we test on Saturday and the FCC ULS is usually updated by the following Wednesday.

The VEC information should be on the CSCE you received when you took the exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.