Tech

Kodiak85

Hi all,
I went the brave route and decided to read the ham manual (yes, 5th edition) myself...without a class and then get my license. Any tips for learning and if possible what should I focus on to make it easy and how long should I study the book?

Happy Trails,
Kodiak

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Hi all,
I went the brave route and decided to read the ham manual (yes, 5th edition) myself...without a class and then get my license. Any tips for learning and if possible what should I focus on to make it easy and how long should I study the book?

Happy Trails,
Kodiak
Personally I would go both routes. A study guide that goes in chapters with an exam at the end of each chapter you can take as many times as you want, that explains to you why you got an answer correct or not can be very helpful.

Taking numerous practice exams until you're getting 100% on every one of them over and over and over exposes you to the question pool, you will most likely get 100% on the test.

Reading the ham manual and always understanding why you got a question wrong or reinforcement why your answer was correct is the way to learn and retain the most information.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Reading the ham manual and always understanding why you got a question wrong or reinforcement why your answer was correct is the way to learn and retain the most information.
What he say!

I never took a "ham class" and gained my knowledge of radio from practical experience with CB, commercial two way radios, scanners and reading books. I've held every license class, except Advanced.

I found various books presented the material in different ways and those divergent approaches were helpful to me for some of the more arcane aspects of radio theory. Personally, I like Gordon West's less formal writing style over the ARRL's rather drool and dry style.

There was no internet when I started in ham radio and I learned Morse Code from cassette tapes and listening to HF code practice. Today there is a plethora of multimedia content available. I strongly recommend Dave Casler's, KE0OG, Ham Radio Answers Youtube channel. He has a complete series of videos for all three license classes, plus new videos on technical subjects several times a week. He also now writes a column for QST.

bharvey2

I think it all depends on your skill/knowledge level. If, in reading through the books it all seems "old hat" because you've already learned the material and it's all coming back to you then great. Read it through and re-read the spots where you feel rusty. If, on the other hand, "it's all Greek to you", then read and study carefully, maybe hitting the internet or other sources for additional information if needed. In either case, I'd suggest looking for some of the online practice ham tests. They'll be a good indicator of where you stand and how you'll fare on the actual test.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I think it all depends on your skill/knowledge level. If, in reading through the books it all seems "old hat" because you've already learned the material and it's all coming back to you then great. Read it through and re-read the spots where you feel rusty. If, on the other hand, "it's all Greek to you", then read and study carefully, maybe hitting the internet or other sources for additional information if needed. In either case, I'd suggest looking for some of the online practice ham tests. They'll be a good indicator of where you stand and how you'll fare on the actual test.
I agree on the two different camps, either you already know it all and you don't need to study much at all except to learn the question pool, that's understandable but pretty rare.

I spoke to an airline pilot recently who had to take the test for Tech for their job. I don't know what the precedence on that is but they passed the exam, very little study.

They are an airline pilot for heavens sakes, they did practice exams, at least 50 of them.

If you're a soccer mom, and you need explanation on exactly what a radio is and that there are different frequencies and modes. That's a different story. You've got to start from square One. Those are the ones that get 50% of the questions right but learn from that and pass with 100% next time LOL..

A good analogy would be chess. I was playing when I was 11 or 12 years old pretty skillfully. I was a member of a prestigious competitive club when I was 15 through 25. Try learning chess, sight unseen, when you're 40. Just saying.

n5ims

Hams should remember that once they got their license using the question pool memory method (memorizing the questions and answers or repeated taking of the practice tests until they pass them many times) need to remember that once they got their license the studying has only begun. Studying things like antenna books, various radio manuals (mostly radios they own or operate regularly), operating manuals (not working the radio controls, but operating procedures), and especially the ARRL Handbook (or similar detailed general ham radio study book (that's not license study related) is really important in making you a good operator. Visiting (and joining) local, regional, and national ham radio clubs and organizations also gives you the opportunity to learn new things and improve your skills and knowledge.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Hams should remember that once they got their license using the question pool memory method (memorizing the questions and answers or repeated taking of the practice tests until they pass them many times) need to remember that once they got their license the studying has only begun. Studying things like antenna books, various radio manuals (mostly radios they own or operate regularly), operating manuals (not working the radio controls, but operating procedures), and especially the ARRL Handbook (or similar detailed general ham radio study book (that's not license study related) is really important in making you a good operator. Visiting (and joining) local, regional, and national ham radio clubs and organizations also gives you the opportunity to learn new things and improve your skills and knowledge.
I think that you made a point I may not have gotten across. Learning so that you understand the fundamentals and the basic knowledge that defines your operations is essential. By combining the two, the question pool and understanding why you get a question right or you get it wrong is most important.
Passing the test is primary, that's when you really learn.

You've got to pass the test first! Then you go into operation and you learn from there through practical experience. Learning the question pool or at least knowing what to expect while you're studying is what makes you pass. Everyone does want to pass.. right?

KL5LD

Mark 12: 29-31
Premium Subscriber
Hello everybody,

So I just took my Tech exam and finished it and........
I PASSED!!!!!! 34/35!!!! Only ONE wrong!!!! Man, I'm so happy right now!!!!! I never thought I could do it but with studying every day for hours a day using the ham study app the Gordon West tech guide and all of you guys on here with the positive words and encouragement!!! You all may not know it but I have read a lot of what you guys say and it stuck with me. Not just on here but on other forums as well and Josh and Jason on YouTube man everybody Thank you so much!!! Now to convince my wife to let me get that radio I have been eyeing lol.

To all of you out there that are studying to take your exam or are thinking about it let me tell you right now that it is possible and you can do it! Don't give up, you can do it!

bharvey2

Congrats on getting passing your test. Now is where the fun AND the learning starts. Now you'll just need to figure out which aspects of ham radio interest you and pursue those. There really is a lot you can do and ham radio is very much a "learn by doing" hobby. I think you'll enjoy it.

KL5LD

Mark 12: 29-31
Premium Subscriber
Congrats on getting passing your test. Now is where the fun AND the learning starts. Now you'll just need to figure out which aspects of ham radio interest you and pursue those. There really is a lot you can do and ham radio is very much a "learn by doing" hobby. I think you'll enjoy it.
Thank you!!! I'm really digging CW. I found a class online that teaches it so ill be taking that class and learning more. ATV is pretty interesting too. But I guess one thing at a time. Now I just need the FCC to give me my callsign and ill start with just making contacts. Man, I'm so excited!!!!