Technician Exam question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelltara

Premium Subscriber
I am halfway through the technician study manual. I was getting a 63 to 68 percent correct on the practice exam, without reading it and now after 3 chapters I am in the 70's two out of three times.
Are the test pool questions, like those used on QRZ, the same as given in the test itself? or just similar type questions?
I was going to try to study for all at once but now I think I'll do just the tech and then work on general.
It's 15 per session. A local ham told me to go for it and take all three at once, the worst that can happen is I won't pass the general or extra but there is nothing to lose in trying.

elk2370bruce

For each class of license, there is a specific question pool from which exam questions are taken verbatim. Both the ARRL and Gordon West license study manuals cover each and every potential question. Either (or both) are excellent study materials and a reasonable price. On the night that you pass your Tech, try the general exam just for giggles. Even if you don't pass it, you now know what the exam covers. Best of all, the second test would be FREE since you've already shelled out the $ 15.00. The Extra exam is a real stinker without lots of study so don't even try it if you pass the general your first night! As a VE, I have seen a very few people pass all three exams in one night but there was a brown stain on their undies and blood dribbling from their ears. Take your time and do it right and you'll gain a lot of knowledge and experience to use when you sit for an upgrade. Welcome to the world-wide fellowship of amateur radio (in advance).

K3DCX

Questions are exact, but some pratice tests scramble the answers around, so learn to correct answer, not the position of the answer.

I went for a tech last summer. I had downloaded a practice exam app onto my smartphone phone. Anytime I was sitting around, which included sitting in front of the TV most evenings, I would have my phone in one hand running to tests. I would later research the questions I missed, and then do it again. When I started consistantly getting 32-35 correct answers, I started running the General exams as well. I wasn't quite as confident on the general come test time, but I was really only interested in the tech at that time.

Well I did really well on the tech, so they handed me the general. I passed that too, so they handed me the extra, which I did not study for. I missed it my 18 questions. I was a little rusty on my impeadance and resonance formulas. They offered for me to retake it, but I had now been testing for over 2.5 hours, and starting to burn out. I did go home with the general and start the extra study. I took the extra at a hamfeast two months later and passed it.

I know a guy that went in for a tech, and walked out with an extra, acing all three . But that's why he's my boss and the Director of our RF design group :)

kelltara

Premium Subscriber
Thank you.

Am up to fairly consistent 77 now so I have high hopes :)
Some of it is just refresher, some of the acronyms I need to learn. But I'm having fun.
I took the General practice for kicks and got a 50. I need work on that for sure. I have the last edition of the manual ( sixth ) but maybe with that and the online exams I will get up to speed.
I take the test in about a week. :) I can't wait. I'll take the general practice several more times before I go also.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Thank you.

Am up to fairly consistent 77 now so I have high hopes :)
Some of it is just refresher, some of the acronyms I need to learn. But I'm having fun.
I took the General practice for kicks and got a 50. I need work on that for sure. I have the last edition of the manual ( sixth ) but maybe with that and the online exams I will get up to speed.
I take the test in about a week. :) I can't wait. I'll take the general practice several more times before I go also.

Congrats early! I'm sure you'll do just fine based on what you're telling us.

n9zas

kelltara

Premium Subscriber
Thank you everyone.

I really need work on the general as my highest score is a 60. I am mostly in the 50's. Just finished reading the Tech study manual so I might not be up to speed on the general in time. But I will try. I was looking at the General Manual and there is alot of ground to cover by next Saturday lol. I may have to take that in a couple of months as that is when the next test near me is scheduled.

I have answered all the tech questions on the QRZ site, and am getting upper 80's to lower 90's now :)

joen7xxx

I'm glad to see that your are reading and learning. While it may be difficult for some to realize, half the fun of Amateur Radio is actually learning how and why and not just memorizing the questions and answers. I'm glad you are enjoying the experience. The learning never stops with Amateur Radio. That is why after getting my Extra, I started studying for the commercial exams. I now have my GROL, Second Class Radiotelegraph Certificate and Ship's RADAR endorsement. I have been toying with getting the GMDSS Maintainer but work is consuming my time.

Enjoy Amateur Radio. If you enjoy the journey, you will do just fine with the exams. Take the General even if you aren't ready. At least you'll get a feel for the exam.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.